AVIC411.com

Official 3.x Firmware Opinion/Results Thread

Well the time has come with Pioneer shipping out a batch of SD cards with 3.0. Figured we needed a centralized place for posting opinions/ results for the 3.0 update rather than loads of different threads from each person.

A suggested format

Version: 3.xx

Model: F500, F700, F900, F90

Legitimate: Was it ordered from Pioneer (Yes) or was it installed using a torrent or similar source (No)

Opinion:

Possible Improvements:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Version: 3.01

Model:F7010BT

Legitimate: No

Opinion:Was a pain to get it to work as Win CE would not update until I used the updater from the 3.01 update installer. I am still waiting for the Mod gods to update their mods to work with 3.xx. So far seems like a worthwhile update paid or not.

Possible Improvements: Start up of music seems quicker as I almost immediately get music from my last source though boot up to an actual menu is about the same. Button response is quicker as long as you don't try to blitz the unit with touch commands. Cycling through XM categories is much quicker and less frustrating. Cannot comment on the Ipod, SD card, video, or backup camera functionality as I don't have or use them. I like the 2D up option that we now have. I personally like the beeps of the unit when I touch the screen. It gives me positive feedback that the unit registered a touch. I don't know if 2.0 had this, but I do like how different buttons have different sounds.

Problems: I now have problems with the BT phone connection. For the few days I have had the update, the majority of the time I cannot answer calls because the audio is not being outputted even though I can talk to the person on the phone itself or once the phone starts dialing from a VR command I get a reboot. Never had the reboot problem before, occasionally had the no audio problem. The unit is still a bit laggy at some points. If I press buttons rapidly the unit seems to get confused and does not respond.

Version: 3.01

Model: F900

Legitimate: Awaiting shipment, (Yes) or was it installed using a torrent or similar source (yes)

Opinion: Sd screen while playing mp3 would freeze up, songs would not display all the time, random play would take minutes to change songs, along with usb as well.

Possible Improvements: fix as above as 2.06 does not do this.

Version: 3.0201

Model: F90

Legitimate: Was ordered from Pioneer

Opinion: So far, a very mixed feeling about the upgrade.

Pros:

- New GUI is better in general; especially, the colors. It is much easier to read.

- Boot time to radio is a lot faster.

- Screen is more responsive to touch (after fully booted, which still takes a long time).

Cons:

- Less stable. I've been using it for the last few days. At least for 3 times, the system booted but not fully functional. Problems including voice guidance was scrambled, voice guidance totally gone (pings only), and hardware and software keys did not work.

- software bug. Once a while, especially after an instruction, the 3D mode will go into an odd "3D N-Up" mode.

- More bug. Once a while, the signposts will not show when they should; and all the area which should show maneuvers went blank.

- the new map database is not as accurate. It was asking me to make an u-turn at an intersection which does not allow.

Possible Improvements:

- Fix those bugs then I will be happier.

- Can display Asian fonts from iPod will be great.

- Keeping all the radio presets and user settings after reboot / reset will be good, too.

- Smaller signposts.

Cons:

- Less stable. I've been using it for the last few days. At least for 3 times, the system booted but not fully functional. Problems including voice guidance was scrambled, voice guidance totally gone (pings only), and hardware and software keys did not work.

- software bug. Once a while, especially after an instruction, the 3D mode will go into an odd "3D N-Up" mode.

- More bug. Once a while, the signposts will not show when they should; and all the area which should show maneuvers went blank.

- the new map database is not as accurate. It was asking me to make an u-turn at an intersection which does not allow.

Boot up problem seems have to do with BT. If I waited for the system to fully boot before attaching the phone, everything will work fine. On the other hand, if I turn on the BT on my phone when the system is still booting, the same problem shows up again.

I also played with the settings a bit more. Seems like those display issues are related to the "smart zoom" setting. I had problems when set to 800/900 feet, and problem went away when set to 900/1000 feet.

well I bit the bullet and ordered the 3.0 update as I didn't want to do the unofficial one and f***up the unit. I manage to get it for what you all preorder it for at $59.99 at cruthfield.com. It's actually on backorder and they said it should be in stock by friday so by tuesday I'll get my update then give my impressions.

Boot up problem seems have to do with BT. If I waited for the system to fully boot before attaching the phone, everything will work fine. On the other hand, if I turn on the BT on my phone when the system is still booting, the same problem shows up again.

I also played with the settings a bit more. Seems like those display issues are related to the "smart zoom" setting. I had problems when set to 800/900 feet, and problem went away when set to 900/1000 feet.

I confirmed the "not so fully boot" problem has to do with BT. I walked into my car yesterday, with the BT already turn on again. Sure enough, the system was going crazy again. The navi voice started saying "In one mile, make a left turn onto "underscore" 190 Street "underscore" "underscore"....."

A very subtle but nice change in the 3.0 update... As before, if your unit boots directly into the map screen you will be given the warning message with the OK button.

Except now you can just lightly tap the OK button and it responds on the FIRST TRY! I can't tell you how many mornings I got into my car with 2.0 FW and had to keep mashing the OK button on the screen over and over just to see the map screen. So much more responsive now when booting. I'm 3 days into using 3.0 and already see such a difference. The highway signs are AWESOME and appear exactly as they do on the road.

The problems people are reporting with the street names not appearing in 3D mode unless zoomed in doesn't affect me. I disable the smart-zoom feature and keep it zoomed in pretty close anyway. It results in a much better framerate for the map.

A lot of us made similar claims about how great 2.0 was and then we were soon bit**ing about it again. Only time will tell if 3.0 ends up the same...

I installed the update I bought I Pioneer and so far it has been nice. I was having a problem with my iPod disconnecting from the unit before and that still has not been resolved. Other than that I have had no issues after the update.

It seems more responsive to touch. The annoying beep has changed. Even the MSN stuff seems to download faster that what I had before. Overall I am happy with the update.

Dave

Model: F90BT

Legitimate: Yes, SD cards from pioneer.

Opinion: A little pissed off for paying the 60 bucks.

Pros:

- The new interface is easier to read, but some parts i prefer the old look. Like the ipod...

- Got to keep my boot screen. Not a huge deal but still nice.

- Screen is more responsive to touch, but only after the unit is fully loaded which still takes way too long.

-Hopefully the new maps will have some of the newer roads in my area, but i can't verify this as i live and work and go to school in a very old town. :-)

-It seems on the couple of calls i've made and gotten that the Bluetooth works a little better.

Cons:

- Everyone says the boot time is improved, but its still shit-tastic especially when using a Bluetooth enabled phone and or playing back music from the SD card. This was the main reason i bought the upgrade and i'm still a mile away from where i started the car before the tunes come on.

-Lost all my settings and hacks. Not a huge deal but losing their function even for a few days makes the nav less user friendly.

-Cost $60, when all this really did was fix SOME of the nagging issues with this product. And half-assedly 'fixed' some issues like boot time and the time it takes to get the sd card from boot.

Possible Improvements:

- This update should have been available free of charge imo. I'm likely to replace this unit soon and put it in my girl's car. Won't be buying another pioneer deck...

Model: F90BT

Legitimate: ordered from Pioneer

Opinion:

Boot up time from 2.0 is pretty much the same. Touch screen, however, is much more responsive - a huge improvement. I no longer feel like I have to mash the screen to get commands to register. Contrast on the maps is a huge improvement too, and the signs appearing when traveling your route is awesome. Works as advertised. iPod playback from an iPod Classic 160GB seems to work fine, though the first VR Catalog seemed to take ages (I promptly turned that off once it cataloged it once). That said, while the VR Catalog was running for the first time I was able to switch back and forth between iPod playback and maps without issue - pretty cool! The only thing I haven't tried yet is my Bluetooth hookup on my cellphone. Will update once I play with that for a few days.

*UPDATE* I just tried using my iPhone 3GS via Bluetooth. Works fine, even with BT on at time of startup. Seems to chug along a little slowly when initializing the map with it on at startup, but it works still. That said, if I have BT off on my iPhone and let the F90BT initialize fully first (turning on BT on my iPhone after I hit "OK" to continue into map draw), it doesn't make the map redraw all sluggish. Still, it's convenient leaving BT on so I probably will. ;-)

*UPDATE PART DUEX* OK, after using my cellphone via Bluetooth for the past few days, I can say this: if you have Bluetooth turned on via your cell and the F90BT at startup, it *REALLY* causes the unit to be non-responsive and choppy on maps for a bit. If I don't touch anything it eventually kicks in after a few minutes, but it really has a hard time doing it this way. Keep your Bluetooth turned off on your cellphone at startup though... once the F90BT initializes, turn on your cell Bluetooth and it attaches without issue and does not lock up or chug at all. Definately a bug that needs to be addressed. I can work with it, but it is annoying now that I have to remember to turn my cell Bluetooth off before starting my car. Oh well - it'll save the battery on my 3GS anyway! LOL!

Possible Improvements:

So far so good. I was hoping boot up would occur faster but I'm happy that the touch screen is improved even further.

I got the update from the pioneer webite...seems that there is a free version for canadians only... no idea what could be different from the us ver.

Update was simple from the web directions. However the version number does not seem to be updated

I notice the same improvements as others mentoned

The bluetooth works though when I pressed hangup on the screen It appeared to work, but the phone didn't actually hang up will have to keep an eye on this as it could be costly.

Slow load time on sd card and problems with flash drive have not been fixed.

It does not appear that any new or updated maps were included

I got the update from the pioneer webite...seems that there is a free version for canadians only... no idea what could be different from the us ver.

Update was simple from the web directions. However the version number does not seem to be updated

I notice the same improvements as others mentoned

The bluetooth works though when I pressed hangup on the screen It appeared to work, but the phone didn't actually hang up will have to keep an eye on this as it could be costly.

Slow load time on sd card and problems with flash drive have not been fixed.

It does not appear that any new or updated maps were included

Thats version 2.006.

This is the 3.0 version for $75

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Shop/Navigation/Upgrade+Discs/ci.CNSD-100FM.Shop