AVIC411.com

tv tuner and Ipod video podcast insight

First Let me say thanks to all. this site convinced to buy the z-1. To set the stage I had my Z-1 installed at a local shop (have not messed with stereos in over 15 years) could not see spendig $450 on installed tv tuner at that time but could not stand seeing the unlit tv icon in the menu!!! so order the tv tuner from from Discountcarstereo.com (unbelevable Service) its not HD but I consider it a marriage saver. Reception is fine and when wife leaves me stranded in car no need to get ticked off anymore. lovely.. I broke down and installed myself and the only thing that the searches on this site did not let me know is that the bus cables work in a inline set up behind any accessory that is already plugged in. No flames I am sure it is out their but not on tv tuner related searches. The Big disapointment is with the ipod connector that I bought to hook up to av ( for videocasts and podcasts) that also charges IPOD and hooks up to bottom of IPOD. Without power wired in video reception is great but when I hooked the power up to the harness the screen got a very sligh haze. I unhooked power wire and went on my business. I had previously used the headphone connection on top but the volume control on radio and ipod were always having to be played with to get rid of background noise. bottom line the podcasts are sweet and the new hook up less power wire is still worth it . This forum is great.

post-2552-12872751295996_thumb.jpg

I'd like the part number as well. I want to play video from my IPOD onto my Z1, but while charging the unit.

What did you do with the TUNER? Did you hook up the IPOD as a source to view it on the TV input? I was going to just install it into the AV input, but I would prefer to use the TV Tuner input as an option.

• 3 weeks later...

With a broadband wireless connection and something like a Slingbox you could actually stream CNN live... I did it for a few hours until I found out Verizon gets very, very angry if you stream anything on their "unlimited" service.

I'm switching to Sprint and am putting my laptop back in the car with a 7 inch touch screen so I can do exactly that. I will have cable in my car! I can even get the HD channels, not in HD of course but I can still see 'em.

Oh, DO NOT BUY LOCATIONFREEFROM SONY... unless you have a PSP. There are so many problems with the box but the three major, crippling problems are:

1) The video quality is lower than what you could get from a FREE product like Orb.

2) You cannot just use any computer you run across in the world, say at a cyber cafe in downtown Amsterdam. Sony only gives you one client license, unlike Sling box with gives you unlimited client licenses. You can't just remotely unregister your old license and reinstall that license on your new computer because of the next problem...

3) You have to be physically located in the same room as the LocationFree box to configure it. This includes removing and reinstalling a client license. This make the box useless if you are traveling and want to pop into a cyber cafe to watch something you've recorded on your DVR or some "local" news. This is all because you have to physically press a setup button on the box to get into configuration mode. Argh! Why?! Sony, this is not a missile command system for NORAD, it's a freaking video/audio streamer! It doesn't need to be that secure!

All that being said; one thing LocationFree does do well is stream live TV to your PSP; which is the second reason I bought it. I love having TV on my PSP and it does that fairly well so even with all the horrible problems it's still worth it to me for the $150 bucks. Slingbox doesn't currently support the PSP because it's a closed system and Sony would never in a million years help them by opening up the standard.