AVIC411.com

Voice command probs with X910?

Let me start off by saying I work for an electronics shop and I have had an F900BT, F700BT, and now an X910BT in my personal car. I am very very familiar with these units and spend a lot of time browsing AVIC411. I am just looking to see if anyone is having the same issues I am.

My problem is with my voice commands for the X910. I loved the voice commands with my F-series navs. They worked flawlessly and i used them ALL of the time since I am my car about 5 hours a day. Anyway, we just installed an X910 into my car this week as a demo and I have had a terrible time getting it to recognize my voice commands, mainly for iPod but also for bluetooth.

Example: I will say "Play the artist Rise Against" and Samantha will say "Showing all albums". Sometimes i will get kind of close and she will say "Showing artist Rise Against". I have tried slowing down my words and just saying "Play...Artist...Metallica" and she will think I said "Shuffle All Music"

I am doing everything I used to with my F-series. I have catelogged my iPod numerous times but I am sure this is not the issues because maybe 1 out of 15 tires it actually recognizes what I say.

I cant imaging that Pioneer changed the VR software since it worked fine to begin with. I am betting on a bad microphone but I wanted to see if anyone else is having similar issues.

Had the same issue after turning the V/R cataloging off. Once I turned it back on and let the AVIC catalog the ipod the voice commands worked like a charm. Called specific artists and albums. Hope this helps.

From main menu: Select Settings > AV Settings > VR Catalog Mode > and cut int on

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully Pioneer tech support and I were able to figure out the problem last night. Embarrassingly, it ended up being user error...but there's sort of a catch.

so with the F-series you would press the VR button, wait for the chime, then give it a command. I used that for a year and I guess I developed a habit of how I did it.

with the X-series you press the VR button, wait for the chime, THEN you need to wait an extra second or so until the purple dashes around the face icon start lighting up, THEN you can give your command.

basically, i was giving the VR command right after i heard the chime because that is what i was used to doing on the F-series but on the X you need to wait about a second after the chime before you start talking.

I am still having problem with voice control. Never had success getting the phone commands to work. I had the 910 installed in my wife's SUV, I drive a Mazda CX 9 that I hope to install a Z110 into one day. However, the bluetooth in my Mazda works flawlessly either calling numbers or names from contacts. The 910 works well with the exception of voice commands.

I will call Pioneer's tech support Monday... I hope I don't have to have it taken out.

I talked with the pioneer tech and the verdict is remove and send it in for repair... I paid to have this unit installed unlike many who did their own. I will have to pay to have it removed, shipped and I know it will be replaced with another unit. The tech had NO clue what to do. I ask him if the VR could be replaced and the response was "sorry sir the unit must be sent in for repair".

I think pioneer thinks they have only teenage minds purchasing their products, where it doesn't matter how they get it to work just so it works. Even at my expense. A software issue having to be sent in? I need to look at another vendor or just stick with the old way, printed directions.

Extremely disappointed and wish I had a better experience, but I prefer not to spend my money in this manner.