AVIC411.com

Wifi + Internet browsing F500BT - Success!

Will the F-Series WINCE OS see two USB sticks if a powered(or not powered) USB Hub is used?

Yes it does.

The USB port will only do one device at a time.

More precisely it will only support devices from the same type at a time, depending on the selected USB Function Client mode.

post-34110-12872758886095_thumb.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if it's possible to just use the Bluetooth to share the internet thru the phone network (3G/Edge). The main purpose is to make MSN Direct work, and have traffic/Weather updates, etc.

I don't think we could get usable WIFI connections at lots of driving areas.

Just wondering if it's possible to just use the Bluetooth to share the internet thru the phone network (3G/Edge). The main purpose is to make MSN Direct work, and have traffic/Weather updates, etc.

I don't think we could get usable WIFI connections at lots of driving areas.

I think the BT option was explored, and it was found that the Pioneer shell works directly with the bluetooth hardware, and not using windows at all. Carver is exploring the option to add windows built-in bluetooth support, possibly with an external USB dongle.

Kafklatch on this thread did however manage to get his mobile phone to act as a hotspot, connecting the avic using sdio wifi.

Does anyone know if it is possible to tether an iPhone via USB to use the internet? My iPhone has tethering enabled (I can tether to my desktop computer via USB), and the AVIC has a USB port. I tried just plugging the iPhone in, but it doesn't appear to be registering on my AVIC as anything is connected.

Will the F-Series WINCE OS see two USB sticks if a powered(or not powered) USB Hub is used?

Yes it does.

The USB port will only do one device at a time.

More precisely it will only support devices from the same type at a time, depending on the selected USB Function Client mode.

I'm not sure what you mean here by same 'type'. You mean you can connect two thumb drives but not a thumb drive and ?? [all I can think of is a usb wifi card (but there's no drivers I know for them)]? What other usb device works when connected alone, but not when on a hub with a thumb drive? or what part am I missing here?

Looks like he means two thumb drives (or other like devices). I've tried it before with a USB hub, and it didn't work. Maybe it depends if the device you're using will work with generic drivers.

I'm guessing it didn't work for you because there wasn't enough power, not sure. A typical usb powers at 5 volts, 500 milliamps [i believe], and when you use a hub there is less power to go around. Many [you may be aware of all of this already, sorry] external notebook drives have a funky cable that has one usb male coming from the drive going to a split with two usb males going in to a computer. It has two go in because it wants the power. I tried 3 external notebook drives before I found one that could be powered off a single USB port (on a different pioneer stereo).

Now I'm guessing (out of my butt) that maybe wince is limited to using one driver at a time on a usb connection. I don't know if I believe that.

I'm not sure what you mean here by same 'type'. You mean you can connect two thumb drives but not a thumb drive and ?? [all I can think of is a usb wifi card (but there's no drivers I know for them)]? What other usb device works when connected alone, but not when on a hub with a thumb drive? or what part am I missing here?

I mean that you can't for example hook up a usb drive & use activesync with your pc at the same time.

I'm guessing it didn't work for you because there wasn't enough power, not sure. A typical usb powers at 5 volts, 500 milliamps [i believe], and when you use a hub there is less power to go around. Many [you may be aware of all of this already, sorry] external notebook drives have a funky cable that has one usb male coming from the drive going to a split with two usb males going in to a computer. It has two go in because it wants the power. I tried 3 external notebook drives before I found one that could be powered off a single USB port (on a different pioneer stereo).

Now I'm guessing (out of my butt) that maybe wince is limited to using one driver at a time on a usb connection. I don't know if I believe that.

Wince supports multiple drives on one usb connection without a problem. You do need to have enough power for that which as you say is 5V/500mA per port. In my example above the hub itself consumes 100mA, one drive consumes 98mA and the other drive 200mA.

Mind you there are crappy usb cables which don't provide even the 500mA successfully, typically those provided with card readers. Those supplied with a usb hub should (logically) be good enough.

Yeah, I'm aware of the power issue.. I am powering mine correctly. I made this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24072

It just didn't work when I tried. I plugged in two thumb drives, only one showed up. I plugged in two hard drives, only one showed up. I plugged in a thumb drive and a hard drive, only one showed up. I tried changing the USB host settings in WinCE and got the same results.

Oh well, it doesn't concern me that much.

Yeah, I'm aware of the power issue.. I am powering mine correctly. I made this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24072

Nicely detailed. Well done!

It just didn't work when I tried. I plugged in two thumb drives, only one showed up. I plugged in two hard drives, only one showed up. I plugged in a thumb drive and a hard drive, only one showed up. I tried changing the USB host settings in WinCE and got the same results.

Oh well, it doesn't concern me that much.

Without delving too much into usb power technologies, it can be a non-compliant hub or devices that create the problem. When a device is plugged in, a certain dialog takes place between port and device. A mis-identification at that stage and incorrect recognition of whether the device is defined as high-power or low-power, might block any further devices from being recognized.

So in case the one device is reported already as high power, the port will not allow any further devices as part of its current protection mechanism, even if in fact the device consumes less then the max 500ma.

Can't say why exactly it didn't work in your testing, but for sure we know its consistent :wink:

Yeah, that's most likely the problem. Various device ID's may not be recognized under WinCE, so no drivers or improper/limited drivers load. I'm almost finished up with my computer engineering degree at Univ. of. Mich and this semester I'm taking a few embedded systems classes, so I may be able to troubleshoot some issues.

An update on Wifi + Internet on F900BT:

I have returned the Spectec SDW-821 Wifi card because I suspected the card to be broken. Whatever I tried, I did not get Windows CE to recognise the Wifi card. The supplier tested the returned card and it was confirmed working in their test. They refused to send me anther card because they think my device does not support SDIO devices.

I would like to try the SDW-820 card because on the gpspassion forums they claim that the SDW-820 Wifi card is more compatible with Windows CE 5.0. It also uses an other type of drivers that do not use the WZC utility but a standalone program to configure WLAN. This is interesting as the SDW-821 drivers refused to pop up the WZC utility on the F900BT unit.

Before I order the SDW-820 card I would like to be sure that the F900BT has a working SDIO slot. Can anyone confirm internet working on a F900BT or does anyone know for sure that this unit has a working SDIO slot?

An update on Wifi + Internet on F900BT:

I have returned the Spectec SDW-821 Wifi card because I suspected the card to be broken. Whatever I tried, I did not get Windows CE to recognise the Wifi card. The supplier tested the returned card and it was confirmed working in their test. They refused to send me anther card because they think my device does not support SDIO devices.

I would like to try the SDW-820 card because on the gpspassion forums they claim that the SDW-820 Wifi card is more compatible with Windows CE 5.0. It also uses an other type of drivers that do not use the WZC utility but a standalone program to configure WLAN. This is interesting as the SDW-821 drivers refused to pop up the WZC utility on the F900BT unit.

Before I order the SDW-820 card I would like to be sure that the F900BT has a working SDIO slot. Can anyone confirm internet working on a F900BT or does anyone know for sure that this unit has a working SDIO slot?

Kafklatch said he had SDIO wifi working several posts back.