AVIC411.com

First Impression. PICS now available...BMW X5

Wow... looks good!!!

I just got mine installed this weekwnd too, on a 2004 X5 no DSP. But I can't do those things on my own, I'm too scared to start playing with my baby... haha.

Anyway, I have 2 problems that I want to know if you can help me out with.

One, when I blow the horn, the source playing changes. Do you know what can be causing that?

Also, how do I program the pac? I got it installed in a place far from me so I rather do it myself if I can. Do I have to rewire it? I want to be able to change songs with the next/prev buttons on my steering wheel. Right now, all they do is control the radio stations to move from one to another. I rather control my ipod.

Any help will do.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice job on the self-install, isn't easy on a car like that.

More than likely your navigation accuracy issues are because of the GPS antenna location. Having it inside the dashboard means your signal strength is going to be reduced substantially. If you are OK with that, proceed as is. Generally I mount the antenna on the top dead center of the dashboard, up by the glass, where it gets a good view of the sky. Can usually run the cable between the dashboard and the glass.

Wow... looks good!!!

I just got mine installed this weekwnd too, on a 2004 X5 no DSP. But I can't do those things on my own, I'm too scared to start playing with my baby... haha.

Anyway, I have 2 problems that I want to know if you can help me out with.

One, when I blow the horn, the source playing changes. Do you know what can be causing that?

Also, how do I program the pac? I got it installed in a place far from me so I rather do it myself if I can. Do I have to rewire it? I want to be able to change songs with the next/prev buttons on my steering wheel. Right now, all they do is control the radio stations to move from one to another. I rather control my ipod.

Any help will do.

I havent used the horn just yet. I will have to try that. Not sure if it will happen. Although even living in NYC I dont know when the last time I hit the horn.

The PAC can be programmed as long as you have access to it. The instructions on how to do it are on their website. Once you know how to do it then it takes only 2 mins even if you had to change your preferences.

You need to set the seek +/- to control the ipod since the preset +/- is only designed for the radio. I set the R/T to the phone menu and the talking face to answer calls.

DO NOT set the R/T to the source option since it gets pressed by the car when you turn on the ignition. I did this first and everytime I got in the car the wrong source was playing. I set it for the phone option since the phone is not available until after the software boots up.

Nice job on the self-install, isn't easy on a car like that.

More than likely your navigation accuracy issues are because of the GPS antenna location. Having it inside the dashboard means your signal strength is going to be reduced substantially. If you are OK with that, proceed as is. Generally I mount the antenna on the top dead center of the dashboard, up by the glass, where it gets a good view of the sky. Can usually run the cable between the dashboard and the glass.

I think its off right now since it still calibrating. I checked the GPS antenna screen and it shows that I have good signal while I'm driving. There is a 3D calibration screen and it is not even close to being done. I think a lot of driving is required for it to complete.

The OEM antenna for the BMW Nav and satellite radio is typically placed inside of the read spoiler of an X5. From what I've been told as long as there is no metal above then its okay. The dash was phone and leather. Not much there.

Did you need any special tools to remove the OEM nav monitor and DVD drive? I noticed EAS sells special tools but I wasn't sure if they were necessary. Also, how did you connect the OEM antenna? I've read on other forums that the blue wire on the Pioneer harness is not used on BMW's. I know I need an adaptor and antenna extension cable but it needs power correct?

No special tool that you cant get from your local harware store. It was a torx screw. I dont remember the size but it was small.

I just purchased an antenna adapter. I did not connect the blue wire on the antenna adapter. No problems at all with the reception.

I havent used the horn just yet. I will have to try that. Not sure if it will happen. Although even living in NYC I dont know when the last time I hit the horn.

The PAC can be programmed as long as you have access to it. The instructions on how to do it are on their website. Once you know how to do it then it takes only 2 mins even if you had to change your preferences.

You need to set the seek +/- to control the ipod since the preset +/- is only designed for the radio. I set the R/T to the phone menu and the talking face to answer calls.

DO NOT set the R/T to the source option since it gets pressed by the car when you turn on the ignition. I did this first and everytime I got in the car the wrong source was playing. I set it for the phone option since the phone is not available until after the software boots up.

How did you set up the R/T button for the phone menu. I looked at the PAC website and I dont see them having a function for the phone menu. All I see are these:

Volume +/-, Mute, Track +/-, Source, Preset +/- and Band.

How does the phone menu get programed, cause I would like that. 8)

Did you get that Bezel from Rich? I have the same bezel, but adding those knobs was a nice idea...

I have the 2point5 spec.dock for my iphone cradle, think it looks nice too. I will try to post some pics later. Havent' had time to upload any.

question regarding

HD tuner

MSN tuner

XM Tuner

I have the same except Sirius

how did you wire it?

I am finding that I cannot get a lot of the HD channels we have.

I also have no way of tuning in FM stations?????

we used the metra splitter so I wouldnt lose fm/am but that seems to be the case

question regarding

HD tuner

MSN tuner

XM Tuner

I have the same except Sirius

how did you wire it?

I am finding that I cannot get a lot of the HD channels we have.

I also have no way of tuning in FM stations?????

we used the metra splitter so I wouldnt lose fm/am but that seems to be the case

You cannot use the splitter at all. Once you have the HD tuner plugged in and the anternna cable plugged into it, you no longer have access to the AM/FM options. Everything is through the HD radio. The antenna jack behind the head unit is no longer used. So from the antenna cable it goes into the MSN tuner then to the HD tuner. HD tuner sends the broadcast to HU via IPBUS. Since the AM/FM option gets eliminated I removed it from the shortcut screen. I hope this helps.

I like the Ipod dock idea. Only concern is theft. I forgot my Ipod in the cup holder in my previous car (Audi A6) and same thief broke my window and stole the ipod with the charger in manhattan. In front of a church no less. I hid mine in the center console. Thank you for postingyour pics. Any install pics or details?

I have that dock with my current OEM/Dice setup. It's a Spec Dock made by 2point5. It is pretty slick. I use it with my iPhone so I never leave it in the car.

ebello,

Which Spec Dock did you order? I was worried that the one with the Pioneer connector would not fit the Z110BT. Did you still need to Pioneer iPod adaptor (CD-I50 or soemthing like that)? I assume it still gives full iPod functionality and charges the iPhone.

fe342185,

I always cover the ipod dock with the ashtray cover, so you dont even know its there if you look through the windows when not in the car. It is the 2point5 spec.dock as mentioned by Scott. I NEVER leave my iphone or ipod. even when I forget it, if I remember, and its 3am, I still go get it. Especially in NYC, its like ppl walk around looking in cars to see what they can find. :evil: Good thing most cars are coming with GPS now, thiefs rather break in and grab those portable ones instead of the in dash ones.

Scott, I used to have the Dice kit as well, actually, I still have it, now I want to sell it. I actually took the spec dock apart and then I used the new wire from the AVIC unit and did some handy work with a glue gun. Actually came out pretty nice. Had to almost take apart all the plastic around the connector on the CD-150 wire. Figured if I mess it up, it would cost around $50 to purchase a new cable. But worked great. Now I dock my iphone and it charges and plays at the same time. Took a while taking off the old connector, they glue it pretty well. :wink:

I think that spec dock is great looking. and it avoids me having my iphone in the glove compartment getting knocked around in there.