AVIC411.com

Audio cuts out quickly, then back in

I've not had any problems with my radio until this morning... had it for many months trouble free. I've not done any mods in months (6 or so) and have had no changes otherwise with the vehicle. Yesterday all was playing just fine, today the audio is cutting out on all everything (stereo or any of the other interfaces - iPod, AV2, etc). The audio plays and then temporarily cuts for a split second, like there is a "skip" in the track or something. At first I thought maybe the iPod was just starting to die but tried it on some headphones and it's fine. I then tried using another source (pandora from my phone) and it cut out when attached to the radio but not if playing on the phone itself. Lastly, I found that the audio cuts on the FM, too.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I traced most of the wires that I could see without pulling the radio out to see if I could find any shorts or anything out of place (power from the battery to the amp, ground wires, etc). So far I see nothing and have found nothing searching this site.

Thanks.

One time i had that problem with my Camaro's stereo and found that one of the tensil leads on a 6X9 speaker was shorting to the chasis of the speaker. Fixed the problem with some electrical tape. Try connecting a speaker directly to the "high" outputs on the deck and see if you hear it cutting out. If you do, you can rule out your speakers and amp(s) and focus on the deck. If you dont hear it, then you will have to work your way on back through the pre-outs, amp, speakers etc.

How about the Mute wire? If its mometarily grounding somehow...Normally you would see the MUTE icon in the upper right corner of the screen when muted, but maybe its happening too fast too see the icon. Doubtful its a speaker problem, since speakers are driven separately, and all channels are cutting out? Is it causing a popping sound when it come back on or is it smoothly coming back on? When going over bumps in the road? Speed of vehicle? Off duration? Interval duration(time between off and back on and back off)? these intermittent problems can be nasty to find...you might end up having to get a datalogger hooked up to it to narrow down the cause.