AVIC411.com

3.0 MSN not working correctly?

I have same issue, after 3.0 I can't get the F90 to connect to do the MSN portion of the upgrade. Not a brilliant idea to push the upgrade over the air, makes no sense when they could have put it on the memory card. Pioneer or Microsoft could get smart, they could still post a downloadable version of the update.

The MSN service could be nice but at this point I may never subscribe as it's never got the data I need in a timely fashion, having to wait 15-30 minutes for the data to update, heck I'm to the destination already and it's just now got some data??

Just out of curiosity, out of those people having issue who has a valid subscription vs an expired trial like I have?

I have same issue, after 3.0 I can't get the F90 to connect to do the MSN portion of the upgrade. Not a brilliant idea to push the upgrade over the air, makes no sense when they could have put it on the memory card. Pioneer or Microsoft could get smart, they could still post a downloadable version of the update.

The MSN service could be nice but at this point I may never subscribe as it's never got the data I need in a timely fashion, having to wait 15-30 minutes for the data to update, heck I'm to the destination already and it's just now got some data??

Just out of curiosity, out of those people having issue who has a valid subscription vs an expired trial like I have?

Interesting... when I looked at the update card, there is MSN firmware right on the card. On the other hand, I have seen many times that MSN receiver in the AVIC locks up if you turn the unit off before iGO had booted completely... You have to hit reset afterwards...

Same Problem here. I called Pioneer for an assist and they response surprised me a little. "We (tech support) have not installed this update on any of our systems yet. I'll pass your information to Engineering and will get back to you as soon as more information is available." HAHA HAHAHAHAHA HA ...... still laughing ...... I'll try and update the MSN firmware manually (testmode) if that doesnt work i'll roll-back and try again.

well that's cool i did not even think to look on the card, the install guide indicated that it seems to need to "connect" over the air to complete doing the upgrade for MSN. MSN service is "iffy" near my home but I travel through the Phoenix area daily and the signal strength there is peretty good from several sources.

I'll be interested in your "testmode" results if you get to it, I will take a look at the upgrade card again later as well.

My MSN DIrect signal had always been "iffy" at best, and I live/work in areas that are supposed to have good coverage. I was lucky to ever see 1 bar on the status page, and that was rare.

After applying the 3.0 update I purchased from Pioneer, I now have full bars most all the time.

MSN direct data used to take forever to actually populate.

Everything is current within minutes of startup now.

Quite suprised and very pleased.

Now that I'm home I see the MSN upgrde file on the sd card. The upgrade manual refers to having a MSN connection and it taking 8 minutes to get the MSN firmware upgraded. The file on the sd card is only 1.5 mb I can't imagine that file would take 8 minutes to process onto the unit.

Anyways I've no clue how to force it to run the upgrade at this point. It looks like I have to wait for someone to figure it out, Pioneer to provide a solution, Though under warranty I don't intend to send the unit back for something like this that should be repairable by a simple install file. I also can try rolling back to 2.0 and running the upgrade again an unpleasant 2-3 hour process, or simply ignoring the problem and never having/using MSN direct.

Now that I'm home I see the MSN upgrde file on the sd card. The upgrade manual refers to having a MSN connection and it taking 8 minutes to get the MSN firmware upgraded. The file on the sd card is only 1.5 mb I can't imagine that file would take 8 minutes to process onto the unit.

Anyways I've no clue how to force it to run the upgrade at this point. It looks like I have to wait for someone to figure it out, Pioneer to provide a solution, Though under warranty I don't intend to send the unit back for something like this that should be repairable by a simple install file. I also can try rolling back to 2.0 and running the upgrade again an unpleasant 2-3 hour process, or simply ignoring the problem and never having/using MSN direct.

Ok. I had this problem at first. The instruction for upgrade the MSN is not very clear (when you think the upgrade is all done but the MSN is actually not part of it, and it will not get upgraded until you have the upgrade SD in the unit and try to use the MSN the first times). These are the steps I took.

1. When the unit is still turn off, insert the 2nd upgrade SD into the unit.

2. Turn your key to ACC to start the unit.

3. The unit knows not to upgrade the system firmware again since it is the same version already.

4. With the SD in the unit, go to MSN Direct main menu, click at the bottom where shows "status".

5. Wait for the status screen to show and then just follow the instructions.

I think this is it. Sorry, I am writing this from memory. I will try to verify this when I got home.

My first attemp simply failed to work for unknown reasons when following the instructions exactly as written, most seem to be having sucess. I did get the firmware update to work right last night.

1. Turn the car or stereo on as you would normally. This does not do a reboot of the unit and that is what is needed for the Avic to see the upgrade card properly.

2. After starting the unit I Re-instered SD card #2 from the 3.0 update

3. I Hit the reset button to force the Avic to do a full reboot and recognize the SD card properly

4. followed the directions for the MSN direct update

a. Wait for top menu after booting fully

b. Select Destinations

c. Select MSN direct

d. Select Status

If you are as lucky as I am you isimply watch the pretty progress bar until it completes and you are done! You can go select the two hidden spots on the screen to verify things went proper.