AVIC411.com

First Impressions

Ok first I have to say that I'm new to the Pioneer in dash nav and have only used (not owned) Garmin handhelds before. I had a Pioneer DEH-P4800MP deck installed but obviously this is in another league. I was also considering the Eclipse AVIC-726E but when you see the two side by side the screen and clean look of the 110 really do help sell it. Nav was the primary use I was looking at.

The screen

Boot up time is very good (I read that this was a problem with earlier decks)

Customization

route recalculation is very fast (wish it said recalculating though)

Dislikes

While viewing the map I always have to press the SD pic to see what song is playing and the settings

Radio reception sucks (P4800 was great)

Unit will randomly reboot when bluetooth is connected (BB curve 8320)

POI lacking only shows BoA ATM not Wells Fargo or other banks, No In and Out Burger (this just makes we wonder what other POI's are missing)

I like on other units that when you are spelling it will gray out certain letters and provide a listing once you get close.

More annoying than a dislike-Driving on a freeway and coming up on random exits it will tell you to stay on the hwy. Not sure why it tells you this for random exits. I would understand if they were secondary highways but....

Overall I'm impressed with the unit and it works well. I like the SD slot but was alittle disappointed that the 3.5mm plug coming out the USB will not take other MP3 players and only works with the iPod. I had to connect a cable to another input to get a creative zen to work. It would also have been nice to have the option to hook a solid state HD to the USB but since it doesn't like my WD passport I'm guessing it won't like the SSHD either. It also seems that there are way more nav features that I'm just not using. For those that have had Pioneer nav units you probably know these little tricks and tidbits. (pass 'em along please)

post-35414-12872758798796_thumb.jpg

post-35414-12872758800312_thumb.jpg

post-35414-12872758801466_thumb.jpg

post-35414-12872758802577_thumb.jpg

I too wish that the keys grayed out when typing and hate that it tells you to stay on the freeway, etc.

I don't know why you're getting reboots and gets poor radio reception though. I use an HTC smartphone (can't remember model) and it connects within 20 seconds of the head unit starting up and has never caused an issue. I would try establishing a connection with some other phones to see if you can determine whether the head unit just doesn't like that phone or has a problem. For the radio reception, are you running HD? I am now and it's great but even before I had good reception for AM and FM stations. I would check that you have a good antenna connection at both ends. For that matter, just get the HD receiver. You'll be glad that you did!

Finally, do what the last post said and get AVIC feeds from the Pioneer website. It's a pretty useful tool for creating custom POI's, splash screens, config backup, etc.

Mike

Both wellsfargo and in-n-out are not nationalwide business ,maybe that's why they didn't put those in POI in the first place ,you can always add it with Avic Feeds ,very easy to do .

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... AVIC+FEEDS

This is not directed at you in any way, just the general idea or philosophy of only adding "nationwide" businesses as POI's in a Navi head unit.

With that said, probably more than 70-80% of all local businesses and restaurants are non-nationwide businesses, so to exclude them would be universally stupid. Even Acura, a car company, understands this, which is why my 2003 Acura Navi unit has both Wellsfargo banks and In-n-Out Burger restaurants in it....to exclude everything non-nationwide would be extremely shortsighted and very half-assed.

This is actually a very serious oversight if true.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try AVIC Feeds as well as a different phone for bluetooth. My gripe with Avic Feeds will be having to add each location seperately unless there's a way to add all of the Wells Fargo locations or In and Outs. Granted I know where the local ones are.

The other annoying thing I also just remembered was I wish the nav voice would interrupt the music. The reason being is that I have to have the guidance volume set for when I'm rocking out but if I have the music off or lower then the guidance voice booms in the car.

It will do that. Its in the A/V system settings menu, or in the manual

The other annoying thing I also just remembered was I wish the nav voice would interrupt the music. The reason being is that I have to have the guidance volume set for when I'm rocking out but if I have the music off or lower then the guidance voice booms in the car.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try AVIC Feeds as well as a different phone for bluetooth. My gripe with Avic Feeds will be having to add each location seperately unless there's a way to add all of the Wells Fargo locations or In and Outs.

Your going to run into another disappointment there. Avic Feeds will only convert the first 100 locations for a .CSV file. So if you have a POI file with more then 100 locations you will get an error when trying to convert the file. It will however accept the first 100 and allow you to save the file as a .KML for use with the unit. I called to inquire about this as the previous version of Avic Feeds allowed you to convert the first 300 locations of a file. I was told that someone would look into it a get back to me but that has been about a week and a half now.

Also, for importing POI's, does it always need to read from the SD card or will the SETTINGS REPLICATOR transfer those POI's onto the HU's memory?

Sorry to hijack this thread.

So, I realized that in order for custom POI's to show up, the SD card must be inserted. No SD card = no custom POI's. That also means icons. And to have these show up on your map, you select them as stated above in VB's post. I suppose if you import a custom POI and that POI already exists on your system, they would duplicate on your screen ONLY if you have it selected both in "POI" and "Custom POI."

To answer my question above, you cannot apply custom icons to existing POI's that are already installed on the HU. Can someone else confirm this?

TIA