AVIC411.com

Volume level issues with Nav voice/ BT phone

I just installed my XT910BT + HD tuner in my 2000 Boxster S (using trieullionaire's great 2DIN DIY kit you can find on renntech.org) and am very pleased in general.

I can use BT speakerphone and hear nav instructions just fine when the car isn't moving (though phone is a bit quiet on both sending and receiving)... it lowers the radio volume just fine.

When I'm moving it is a completely different story ... the HD radio, CD... mute appropriately, but nav instructions are pretty much inaudible (especially with the top down at speed - but I can hear the radio just fine with volume cranked to 45 [it goes past 11!!!]). I've tried cranking the nav audio settings volumes both up to max, with and without dynamic boost, and boosted audio all the way up for the phone as well... doesn't seem to make much difference.

My Infiniti G37 Nav has a simple solution to this problem : the volume knob controls whatever is currently coming out the speakers, so I use the same volume knob for radio/musicbox as for navigation voice to control both. The AVIC doesn't seem to do anything other than main radio volume control with it's knob, and it seems the max volume of nav and phone are much lower than 45 volume level for radio... One would think the volume of everything should be at least relative to the volume of the stereo, as in I need to crank the stereo to hear it at speed, but AVIC doesn't seem to adjust nav volume accordingly.

I'm using pre-amp (RCA) audio out from XT910BT, and have checked all 8 speakers on 4 channels work as expected.

My XT910BT has the latest 3.0101 firmware.

I have done the parking brake bypass by grounding the parking brake and moving top pin1 (mute) to bottom pin4 (unused) on the other harness and grounding that as well, but I don't think that should interfere (note, there is now no connector for where the mute wire originally was). I did not find the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire on my car's wiring harness so there is no VSS wire hookup to the XT910BT (but it knows speed based upon the internal gyro and the GPS).

Anyone find ways to make nav/phone volume a little more flexible/usable?

Cheers,

Bruce