AVIC411.com

Avic Z110BT for $1,172.29 at Amazon.com

This is a pretty good price actually. I almost fell off my seat when I found out that they will ship this thing into Canada. At least it appears that way. Good to know if I do decide to move up to this unit from my current Kenwood DDX814.

How are you liking the sound quality on the DDX814? IINM, a common complaint about the Kenwoods is the lack of low-end unless you enable Dolby Music mode.

Amazing...

I placed an order 30 mins ago on BestBuy.com for this (for what it's worth - wanted to be certain purchase came with warranty, a name behind it, etc... so was willing to pay a small premium).

Then - searched some on how to find a DVD bypass, etc... Stumbled upon this forum and just **happened** to see this thread. For the $650+ savings I'll take my chances! Cancelled the BB order and placed new order Amazon. It appears I did get one at the $1154 price - but I must admit, I'm concerned this price is a mistake? :?

*crossing my fingers*

-biju.

whobedaplaya, I couldn't describe my 814 any better a day earlier. You see yesterday I discovered and fixed a problem I had thought was there from the day I had my speakers installed. You see in my car the factory setup had a 6x9in the doors but also a 3 inch speaker in the dash that is tied into the same system run off a factory amplifier. The installers I had put the 814 in told me that it didn't have an amplifier. When they put the aftermarket amp in they wired the speakers through the harness behind the deck like older cars do. Problem is those speaker wires were still going through the amp and distorting the sound immensely. I just rewired the fronts directly and it was night and day. I think the rears are being screwed with a little too but they are less important. I will still agree that the sub output is not what it should be unless you put it in Dolby surround mode. I have made several posts on the KenwoodForums website about just this actually. I still feel that is the case but it is alot less pronounced than before. I am curious to hear what it sounds like if I can get the rears wired properly too. Those speakers used to produce some solid bass before and now just don't. My fronts now produce some solid mid-bass are 200% clearer and louder than before. They sound very similar to how they did in my last car with a Pioneer 880PRS. I think these high line Kenwoods are really geared towards competition level speakers actually. In those instances there is alot more than the 300 watts I have going to the sub(s). I am running 75rms to my surrounds right now so the sub might just need some more juice for this Kenwood. This is one reason I am looking at the Z110BT. That and getting voice activation and nav. I will be selling this 814 if I do decide to move to this unit or I might just go for a 9140 too. I am actually demoing those two units head to head within the next few days (maybe even tomorrow - if not then just after Labour Day). I have been looking forward to that for some time now.

Much obliged for the info james. Have a similar situation with my 2006 Lincoln LS's THX system (10 speakers driven off of 2x factory amps, one of them for 2 rear 2-ohm 6x9 subs). Eclipse's crossover can't be adjusted, Kenwood is bass deficient so that pretty much leaves only the Pioneer.

Guess the price is low enough that I'll just bite the bullet and wait for a future USB max #files update.

I would stay away from Electronica Direct :

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ElectronicaDirect

Comp-U-Plus has it for ~$1150 shipped after coupon (enter "private5" in the referral code upon checkout without the quotes) and has a much better reseller rating.

etronics is also fine for ~$20 more :

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/etronics

I was pretty please to get it for less <$1200 ordering when it first came out. But then I ended up waiting a few weeks anyway.

Makes sense that prices will drop now that it's out. What are retail margins like on these things anyway? Always some e-tailer who's willing to take an order for a buck or two profit.

Not sure. But I like that I can basically get the Z110BT, extended warranty (since that price is not from an authorized e-tailer), iPod cable, HD tuner, XM tuner and 160GB iPod for what I would have paid at say Crutchfield. Still have to toss on a steering wheel controller, dash kit and wiring harness

$1,600 + all that stuff would have been just way too rich for my blood.