AVIC411.com

DNX9140 or AVIC-Z110BT

Hey Kidd, You said you had the 9140 and now have the Z110BT. Can you compare your findings on the two units for us all? Did you have them both hooked up to the same speakers? Did you have an amped system too on both of the units. I am curious what you mean by the sound is way better on the Z110BT. How is it better? Does it have better bass response? Is it cleaner? Is it warmer? Were there aspects of the Kenwood sonically that the Pioneer doesn't do as well? More info would be great because as of now I would be surprised if I don't end up with one of these two units unless I can hold out long enough until someone makes a unit I just have to have because it seems to have everything. What I mean by everything is a unit with RDS tuner, full 5.1 surround DSP , 16 band or so eq with solid bass control, loudness control, DTA, Bluetooth, top GPS, voice control, 5 volt + preouts, 7 inch hi res screen, customizable in EVERY way, etc. And the best sq DAC in the business. I know. I ask alot but for $2k+ we SHOULD be able to get it! Anybody with inside info happen to know of such a unit on the horizon?

Come on now, if you are going to make a comment like that could you tell us what you think is so flawed?

Kenwood : Limited VR, buggy (supposedly), cartoony nav (among other things doesn't show surrounding streets), UI not as flashy as Pioneer

Pioneer : Retarded USB file support (255 folders x 255 files on Kenwood, 300 folders / 2500 files on Pioneer), no DTA, less + lower voltage pre-outs, no front IR, single USB, overly basic RDS

For my case, decided to compromise on the Pioneer + 160GB iPod + 16GB SDHC.

...these two frighteningly expensive flagship models ... are still so completely flawed.

Come on now, if you are going to make a comment like that could you tell us what you think is so flawed?

For me the nav is a big one. I've played around with lower end Tomtoms and Nuvis, but this is the first one where I've really read the manual and tried to learn all the tricks. Only problem is, there aren't many tricks. Specifically preconfigured routes and data interchange. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but it appears to be impossible to plan out and upload a simple drive around the block, starting and ending at my house. I know the starting point, the ending point and the roads to take, it doesn't have to calculate a thing, but it can't do it.

Then there's MSN direct. It seems to be great at telling what the traffic is on my route 30 miles behind me, but can't make it tell what the traffic is on the roads that are upcoming on my route. 2/3 of the way through NJ southbound and it's still giving me Hudson river crossings traffic.

Then there's video. See my posts on the troubleshooting forum. The Z has this wonderful screen and no way to get wonderful video off of a hard drive to show up on it. 320x240? What is this, 1995? Bitrates in the 300s? LOL. I haven't even begun to explore surround sound. My car has more speakers than my house, so shouldn't be a problem, right? Right!? I'm not very hopeful.

Nobody is ever going to make the flagship that you and I wish they would. The reason is that is would be like $4000 and would interest about 1% of their target market. Just not profitable, especially with the way the economy is. Sucks, but we will never see it

Hey Kidd, You said you had the 9140 and now have the Z110BT. Can you compare your findings on the two units for us all? Did you have them both hooked up to the same speakers? Did you have an amped system too on both of the units. I am curious what you mean by the sound is way better on the Z110BT. How is it better? Does it have better bass response? Is it cleaner? Is it warmer? Were there aspects of the Kenwood sonically that the Pioneer doesn't do as well? More info would be great because as of now I would be surprised if I don't end up with one of these two units unless I can hold out long enough until someone makes a unit I just have to have because it seems to have everything. What I mean by everything is a unit with RDS tuner, full 5.1 surround DSP , 16 band or so eq with solid bass control, loudness control, DTA, Bluetooth, top GPS, voice control, 5 volt + preouts, 7 inch hi res screen, customizable in EVERY way, etc. And the best sq DAC in the business. I know. I ask alot but for $2k+ we SHOULD be able to get it! Anybody with inside info happen to know of such a unit on the horizon?