AVIC411.com

Can pick one up cheap; Worth it?

I've been offered a U310BT for fairly cheap, but after reading all the reviews (which are generally positive) and the glitches on here, is it really worth it? Like the problems with the navi (freezing) and bluetooth would more likely be fixed with a software update, no? All in all, I could get it for $350 everything in. Should I?

Ya that's true I guess. The only issue here is that I don't do the install myself so that could be a pain (and if I happen to get one that freezes constantly, removing it could get costly). And that is one of my main concerns, the screen freezing constantly. I would be buying it for the GPS/BT capabilities, but if they suck I really dont know if I want it. Do the pros outweigh the cons?

I haven't had any major problems with my unit (e.g. no freezing or bluetooth hanging), just minor issues (slow response, translocation) that I can live with, and I suspect that there are many other people like me. People who got bad units or are heavy/demanding users (and see more glitches) are more likely to find this site and post than your average user, and I suspect that's why you hear more cons than pros here.

I bought the product assuming that there will be problems, especially with an early firmware revision, and I've been lucky that the modest issues I've encountered haven't really impeded my everyday use. I would definitely buy the U310BT again, not because it's perfect (it's not), but because there are simply no other comparable full-featured products like it in it's price range. In my opinion, it's the best in-dash unit you can get for the money, and it suits my modest needs very well.

Still, I'm definitely jonesing for a firmware update. :wink:

It seems more people has issue than not.

If you are not going to install it, I would suggest stay away from this unit. As other poster mentioned, even after sending the unit for repair, it is doing the same thing, that is freezing.

I called Pioneer several times, asking them about just sending Screen for updates. They insist they do not do updates like that, and we need to send whole unit every time.

Also, the so called repair unit has the same firmware I have, so there seems to be no update available.

The customer service rep insist that it is a hardware issue, not software issue, and insist only iPhone 3GS has issues with bluetooth.

The way I see it is, it is not issue with Hardware as OS is still working fine(so processor is not freezing or anything like that), GPS chip is updating the poistions. It is the application over the OS that is freezing, both bluetooth as well as Navigation software.

Also, as mentioned by several people, required POI are explicitly removed(add $100 to get it), and Navigation TTS is useless and you will hate it if you have ever used any other GPS before.

But, if you want to try your luck, hope and pray they will release usable Firmware soon then go ahead, but be prepared to install,uninstall the unit several times if you need to send it to repair.

I would not have bought this if I know about so many problems about this unit. I also bought because it is cheapest Major brand Nav unit. If you do not need major brand, you can buy one with bigger screen, DVD, Bluetooth, Nav unit under $300 on ebay and many other places on web.

I believed Major brand would not have issues like this, and we know how long it took for them to release 2.0 firmware for F series to fix lof of issue, so I am not holding my breath.

I am sure Pioneer sells tens of thousands of these a month, and yet there aren't many on here complaining about them. Your statement doesn't make any sense

It seems more people has issue than not.

Do you have this unit? I do not think there are selling tens of thousands of this unit.

So you assume all people with problems come here? I came here for help in installation, and discovering features etc before I even bought the unit, I discovered the issues after the install, trying to solve issues. I thought may be only few people have problems because of installation/specific phone etc. But that does not seem to be the case here with this unit.

I have not seen many/any user review who claims there are no issue. Some are happy because they got it for cheap(see above), not because unit does not have problems.

People also write positive reviews if they do not have issues with the unit. If it would have been working as expected or close to expectation set by pioneer, I would written a glowing review about the unit.

Unit is cheap does not meant problems are acceptable. Unit is cheap because it does not many feature including some basic(some are intentionally crippled by Pioneer) functionality.

Anyways, unfortunately this specific forum is most passive forum of all I have even seen( Specific to U310BT).