AVIC411.com

F90BT Black Screen and no buttons working

I have an F90BT that, after you see the initial boot screen (in my case, a custom picture) all I get are a Black Screen and none of the buttons are working. The headunit itself is working, as I can cycle thru my sources via the remote and change channels on the radio/XM stations. But the sceen and the buttons are dead.

The truck is a 2008 Silverado LTZ. It had the BOSE option. I am using the PAC units to interface with the remote and OnStar.

I have noticed that a lot of other people are having issues similar to mine, but not exactly the same.

The only thing I can think to do (short of taking it back to the dealer, which I would prefer not to do) is to re-flash the unit with the 3.0 software.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like your unit may be defaulting to the rear camera screen. Normally you'd see a warning across the top that "images may appear reversed" but maybe that warning isn't showing up for some reason. What I did was to turn on my F90BT and, while the bootup was going, repeatedly hit the menu button. It took a couple tries, but eventually my buttonpress interrupted the boot sequence and it pulled up the menu. From there, I went into settings and turned off the rear camera. I hope that helps.

Mike

Well ive just got to the root of my problems and its all sorted now. My problem was using OS X and more likely the fact that ive upgraded to snow leopard. I had managed to update the unit using leopard before but i had a eureka moment and started again from scratch, downloaded all the files again and used a windows laptop and 7zip and its worked spot on and im now using the 2009.06 maps.

Not sure if that will help anyone else but i thought id post it.

Sounds like your unit may be defaulting to the rear camera screen. Normally you'd see a warning across the top that "images may appear reversed" but maybe that warning isn't showing up for some reason. What I did was to turn on my F90BT and, while the bootup was going, repeatedly hit the menu button. It took a couple tries, but eventually my buttonpress interrupted the boot sequence and it pulled up the menu. From there, I went into settings and turned off the rear camera. I hope that helps.

Mike

This ended up being exactly my problem. I was finally able to get in to the menus and sure enough, the rear camera (which is not present) ended up being turned on. Turned it off and all is good again. Thanks!

Design point for Pioneer: If no rear camera is present, shouldn't that option be greyed out like the Sirius and HD radio tuners are when they are not present? That would have eliminated this from being an issue.

• 1 year later...

This ended up being exactly my problem. I was finally able to get in to the menus and sure enough, the rear camera (which is not present) ended up being turned on. Turned it off and all is good again. Thanks!

Design point for Pioneer: If no rear camera is present, shouldn't that option be greyed out like the Sirius and HD radio tuners are when they are not present? That would have eliminated this from being an issue.

You are right, it shouldn't be enabled if you don't have a camera. My problem is that I have the rear camera, it works just fine when I back up but it freezes the Avic-F90BT. Music works and I can change the songs with the volume button. But nothing else, blank screen (it actually says image can be reverse or som'n like that) and menu and map buttons are dead (backlight works). If I am lucky enough to reboot it with no freeze everything works fine.

Any help, suggestions? I need the map more than the camera, i thought to unplug it but I want to give it another chance :) It's a cool gadget if it work.

Thanks for any help.

I currently have a different strain of this problem. My unit stopped working yesterday.

The unit starts up and goes into a black screen, except I'm unable to do anything with it. The iPod connector does not get power, pressing the menu button repeatedly does not work, and I can't even get into testmode or past the service menu key entering screen. It keeps telling me that I'm entering the wrong key or it won't even let me enter a code. I was able to get past this three times out of hundreds of tries and then it would freeze at the next menu. For reference, I'm trying to fix the unit with the FX3.1 package.

I've had this thing for two and a half years now and I really hate Pioneer for all its problems.

• 2 months later...

You are right, it shouldn't be enabled if you don't have a camera. My problem is that I have the rear camera, it works just fine when I back up but it freezes the Avic-F90BT. Music works and I can change the songs with the volume button. But nothing else, blank screen (it actually says image can be reverse or som'n like that) and menu and map buttons are dead (backlight works). If I am lucky enough to reboot it with no freeze everything works fine.

Any help, suggestions? I need the map more than the camera, i thought to unplug it but I want to give it another chance :) It's a cool gadget if it work.

Thanks for any help.

I'm in the same problem and is there s solution fir this?

• 1 year later...

Mike

Mike, your a life saver. I had the same exact issue as the OP, radio functioned as normal, bootup screen still worked, just no image on the screen once it booted up. I was a bit nervous, until I found this thread and did exactly as you said. Took me a couple tries of turning the device on an off while hitting the menu button. Finally it gave up and took me to the main menu, and sure enough, rear camera was set to ON in the settings.(I have no rear camera). Thanks for the fix!