AVIC411.com

Speed signal - is it needed?

I've had a search around on here and dont seem to find an answer to this...

I have an AVIC-D3 which used to be in my 2006 Ford Mondeo. I didn't fit it myself, but when I took it out I noticed that the speed signal was connected as was the reverse gear. The handbrake had been sent to ground.

I've now installed this in a 2006 Ford Focus and initially just to get it in there I just connected the harness, IPOD lead and GPS antenna. However, the nav wouldnt work. It got a good GPS fix fine but on the screen it looks like i'm going backwards or sideways... it wont route me anywhere and keeps hopping from road to road.

I thought it must be down to the speed signal pickup cable not being connected so i've just spend the afternoon pulling it out and connecting this up (green/white wire from the stereo remote lead as far as i know). All pleased I can finally use my nav again I went for a drive round the block and the same thing is still happening. If I go in to hardware connection status, it shows the GPS as green and the Speed signal as 0.

Am I doing something stupid? Have I missed something obvious? Should the nav work without the speed signal connected?

I'm pulling my hair out.... really appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Dan.

Well its nearly 1am as I decided I couldnt go to bed without getting this working ;)

Took the D3 out and checked this speed signal cable - it's all connected and I see some strange fluctuating voltages on my multimeter as you would expect so it couldnt be that...

Then i discovered the 3D calibration menu... reset all three options and voila, it works!

However, the speed signal on the hardware info screen still shows 0 when im driving along and the vehicle dynamics mode errors with something like "feature not currently available" so something still isnt right with that.

Still, the nav works now so i'm happy ;)

If anyone can see some obvious reason for the speed stuff not working, please let me know. There was a really large figure in the speed signal calibration menu from when it was in the previous car so it was working before.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

I can't see why it still isn't detecting a speed signal on that cable though... all the vehicle dynamics work now and the nav works good, although can go a bit mad at times which it never did before in the Mondeo.

I need to find someone else with a newer focus (2005>) who has fitted one to see what they did ;)

for VSS in an 06 focus i have listed

Speed Sense - White/Purple (AC) @ PCM Module Pin 28 Second Connector

wait a minute, after re-reading this i see you had a Mondeo, so if your not state side, then i belive that your focus is a different car than what we call a focus here in the US, and i dont have anything for a euro focus

• 2 months later...