AVIC411.com

09 Tacoma Dash lights

After reputable installer was done, the main dash lights don't work. The AC controls illuminate and adjust via the dimmer switch. After hours of frustration saying it was wired correctly, it went back to the Toyota dealer who says all their pieces are fine and they think it should work. When they disconnect the Pioneer, the dash lights are back on. Any ideas?

Then it is potentially Harness screwup by installer. He must have connected the illumination wire from your truck to ground or some other terminal on Radio side.

I concur -- the installer probably botched connecting the illumination wire.

I have an '07 Yaris, which has same wiring harness as your truck (and all Toyota models since '87). I did the install myself. The AVIC has an orange wire with a white stripe (Orange/White) that is for Illumination. The harness connector I used (Metra 70-1761) has both an Orange wire (Illumination) and an Orange/White wire (Dimmer). For a proper install, you have to connect Orange/White from the AVIC to Orange from the harness, and leave Orange/White from the harness unconnected. If the installer didn't read the packaging and just blindly connected like colors, you would probably end up with a dimmer or illumination problem. If I had to bet, I would say this is what happened to you. Is there any way you can verify?

AVIC-U310BT Installation Manual

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Stati ... al0526.pdf

Metra 70-1761 Product Instructions

http://documents.victorytechnologies.co ... t/1058.pdf

P.S. There are two other aftermarket harness connectors I know of for Toyotas post-'87, the Best Kit BHA1761 and Scosche TA02B, but Metra is a very popular brand and it's likely that's what was used on your Tacoma.