AVIC411.com

Can I view AV2 video while playing the ipod audio?

Here's the situation. I am in the process of getting and possibly building a device that hooks into my car's ECU and displays information via a standard rca video signal (think HKS CAMP II and you are close enough). I'd like to be able to use this while listening to my music.

Is this possible? Is it very difficult?

Also, could I mess with the UI so that there is a button in the lower left corner one every UI "page" that toggles this on/off?

• 1 month later...

So, I figured out a way to do this. Not really using AV2, but the same concept.

Use the rear view camera input!!!

1) Hook up an RCA connection to the ECU data device and hook the other end in where you would hook up the reverse camera (Brown RCA connector).

2) Wire up a toggle switch to the reverse wire (the wire that tells the system to automatically switch to the reverse camera when you are in the reverse gear). This post talks about it but i'm still not 100% on how it should be wired up: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23404&p=158281&hilit=rear+view#p158281 .

It should be white/violet with a quick connector and you should use the corresponding fused wire with it. This you want to hook up to a switch. And this is the part I'm not 100% about. I'm guessing here but you have something like this: 12V ---> switch ---> ground and you use the wire tap on the provided to tap into the 12V line in this setup. And you'd want to use a 12V source that is only on when the ignition is on and you don't want to wire the ground directly to the battery.

Does anyone know what the specs are on that fuse? For those of use that lose things :/ I probably misplaced or tossed my wire.

3) So now you have the ability to switch to the rear view input at will with a switch. And the cool part is your music will still play. Cool! The only problem is that the reverse camera screen has an annoying warning. This post describes how to get rid of that warning: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24842&hilit=reverse+warning (a bit risky so back stuff up before you start hacking at it).

I'll try to remember to post up a video or something once I get it all working.

Ok, one more question on this. The setup screen for the reverse camera has an option for positive or negative polarity. I'm guessing that is just what lead coming off the switch I tap into right?

Positive or grounded, there is a serious difference there. Basically you need to decide if you want to wire a switch to send +12vDC or ground out the reverse input lead; grounding out is safer and won't need to be fused.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got 30 minutes to start testing things out (3 mo old son, so no much time for tinkering).

The device seems to work, but I only get a frozen screen, it doesn't seem to update. Now, this could be a problem with the device that is putting things to the screen, but if it isn't what could be causing the issue.

I'm going to try other inputs, other cables, other input sources, other output sources, etc. to see if I can get it to work.