AVIC411.com

Tips and Tricks to make U310BT better and stable

Hello everyone,

There is not whole lot of information about this unit, or any help anywhere on Internet or for that matter from Pioneer.

Hopefully we will get good info soon on this unit and lot of improvements, but it has to start somewhere, I observed few improvements with following.

1. Blue-tooth hanging:

This is pretty much common problem for U310BT.

The work around:

What I have observed is if you do not synchronize the phone book, it is not hanging frequently. So I just started using without synchronizing the phone book, and I only had one hang so far in 2 week(vs pretty much everyday).

2. Blue-tooth incorrect message, latency:

I think everyone might have observed that unit gives a message saying "Cell Phone disconnected" after you turned the ignition on. At about 32+ seconds it again says phone is connected. The issue with this was, blue-tooth program not recognizing that actual Blue-tooth module is shutdown when you turned off the key. The reason for this is, the unit itself is going into standby mode before it recognizes. So when programs comes back from standby, it thinks phone is still connected but can not find, and that's why we are seeing that message.

The work around:

There is a new Europe version firmware update meant for EU units. This is same version as mine, that is 1.0001. But it seems the blue-tooth software has been updated. I tried to update whole system, but it did not pick up complete platform, but did pickup Blue-tooth software update(Just follow the procedure outlined). My observation is this is not updating file permanently, rather loading into memory which is fine for this unit as it goes to standby usually. As long as we do not F.reset the unit, this works fine.

Here is the link for Firmware( You need to go down, select Firmware downloads and then select F310BT)

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/suppo ... 700BT.html

I am not sure if this has any other improvements over old versions( vs what I have).

Improvements: Now, every time when I turn off my ignition, the U310BT does shutdown right-away as usual, but the LCD stays on for 5 seconds, identifies that Cell phone is disconnected with the message, then goes to standby. So next time when I start the car, it simply connects to phone. This reduced the phone connecting timing from 32+ secs to 18+ seconds and you loose the annoying/embarrassing " Cell phone disconnected" message after starting the car.

Note: Also, if your Radio is off( that means no CD, Radio etc is not on) blue-tooth starts faster.

3. Nav Freezing:

I have not observed Nav freezing after the update, but I am not sure if it has anything to do update. Even before update it only happened once for me.

Please add any tips:

4. Nav showing the in-correct location with full satellite signal:

This happened to be quite few time with my unit. The symptoms are you are moving fine, shows full satellite signal, but shows you are in wrong location (some time as far as 2-5 miles away from actual location) driving across with out roads.

The work around:

This can only be cured with un-docking and docking the unit back again. Just turn off the radio, and keep the unit in Non-Nav mode, eject the screen and put it back again. Rebooting the unit does not fix this.

Please add any tips:

Anyway, this is a start... :D

Tips regarding 3. Navi Freezing and 4. Nav showing the incorrect location with full satellite signal:

I have experienced freezing once and incorrect location several times over the two months I've had the unit. Because I don't use the navi around town, I have a tendency to ignore them and just keep driving. I have often found that both problems suddenly and inexplicably correct themselves after anywhere from 2-10 minutes of driving. I know this isn't really helpful when you need to use the GPS, but if it happens when you know where you're going, you might want to try just giving the unit some time to correct itself.

Tips regarding 3. Navi Freezing and 4. Nav showing the incorrect location with full satellite signal:

I have experienced freezing once and incorrect location several times over the two months I've had the unit. Because I don't use the navi around town, I have a tendency to ignore them and just keep driving. I have often found that both problems suddenly and inexplicably correct themselves after anywhere from 2-10 minutes of driving. I know this isn't really helpful when you need to use the GPS, but if it happens when you know where you're going, you might want to try just giving the unit some time to correct itself.

I have seen the problem you mentioned, which is typically issue with getting satellite fix, esp when you start from a covered parking lot and it takes some time to get the fix while moving in which case your car cursor will not move. The issue I mentioned is when it has full satellite signal and locked into satellites. This would never correct itself, shows full signal(8+ satellites with full signal), car cursor keeps moving and keep showing the incorrect location, but the direction of travel itself is correct.(Parallel to direction of travel).

Even re-booting unit will not fix this issue, only solution is un-dock and dock the unit and it picks right location immediately.

I have seen the problem you mentioned, which is typically issue with getting satellite fix, esp when you start from a covered parking lot and it takes some time to get the fix while moving in which case your car cursor will not move. The issue I mentioned is when it has full satellite signal and locked into satellites.

Yes, I have had this issue with multiple satellite signals (checked under Settings > Connection), as you describe, and it spontaneously corrected itself after some minutes of driving. The first time it was about 1000 yards off, the second 15 miles or so (apparently I driving offroad through a state park), and third about 1.2 miles. The first two times it corrected itself after 2-10 minutes of driving; the third time I actually wanted to use the navi, so I ejected and reinserted the faceplate immediately, which worked. That's not to suggest that inaction will always work, but it has for me in the past.

Man this forum...it is so dead.. or may be people who buy this unit not much enthusiastic...

I think the vast majority of really enthusiastic people go with the higher end models.

I was hoping to get some good feedback so that I can confirm my observations related to updates. Except AVICU310BT no one responded.

I would try to confirm more observations (e.g. firmware update, etc.) except that I seldom use bluetooth and haven't had any problems with it, so I don't want to go through any potentially problems associated with updating the firmware to the European version. From reading the board, it seems like the consensus is that for most people with recurring problems, removing the battery from the faceplate and reattaching solves them at least for a day or two. Resetting and ejecting the SD aren't working terribly well except to get the unit going again.

I would try to confirm more observations (e.g. firmware update, etc.) except that I seldom use bluetooth and haven't had any problems with it, so I don't want to go through any potentially problems associated with updating the firmware to the European version. From reading the board, it seems like the consensus is that for most people with recurring problems, removing the battery from the faceplate and reattaching solves them at least for a day or two. Resetting and ejecting the SD aren't working terribly well except to get the unit going again.

Atleast myself and another user updated the software, and it seems there is no problem with updating. Also, if you already have 1.0001 version it will not update platform at all, just Bluetooth application.

But anyways, that depends on how comfortable you are with that though.

I was hoping with so many people having issues Pioneer would put a update soon, but I guess people are not calling Pioneer to report the problems as Pioneer claims only iPhone 3GS having some issues with bluetooth and no other reported problems.

Sorry to say but I'm still trying to get this unit working. So, not impressions for this time. A friend of mine is nowcopying the flash memory. Will see what is going to hapend.

Thanks, that would be great. I know not a lot of people are buying this unit, but if all of us contribute we may be able to get better out of this unit.

Hii Guys,

Ok, I bought my Prioneer AVIC F310BT from Audio FX - Melbourne and due to work assignments have been relocated to Malaysia.

Has anoyone any idea of changing maps on AVIC F310BT, and if YES, how do I go about it.

I have yet to use my AVIC to its maximum capability - and lookforward to fellow friends using this set in MALAYSIA.

cheers,

EDDY

MALAYSIA

Hi, first time poster here. I just got a 310bt and of course have all the same issues as everyone else. I see the firmware update may help some but my unit says I have firmware version 1.0000. Can I get the 1.0001 US version anywhere or would the EU version be ok to install? I am in Florida.

Yes, You can. I did upgraded mine and works much better now, esp bluetooth is more stable now. But do it at own risk...