AVIC411.com

Hands Free Bluetooth poor sound quality

I located my stock mic on the steering wheel, fairly close to my mouth. While people can hear you, there is a definite background noise - akin to having windows open in the car.

Be sure that you don't have your AC vents pointed at it... I know...pretty dumb...but you would be surprised how often people do this without realizing it...

Honestly, I think that the steering wheel is a horrible place to put the mic... I've preached it several times, that the absolute best spot I've found is between the windshield and the upper a pillar(very corner).... Car's speakers are designed and placed to where the sound can get to your ears.... and being that you sit directly behind the steering wheel, just means that the sound i going to go right back into the mic....

Also...when you pair your phones, be sure that the BT volume on the HU is turned all the way up... as well as your phones' BT volume prior to pairing it....

here's mine... no body can ever tell that I'm in my truck....

post-11718-12872762404221_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My hands free bluetooth seems to work fine. It's the Voice Recognition that doesn't work well for me. For example, I tell the unit "Play artist Weezer" and it tells me it's going to play Eddie Vedder

Are you hitting the map OK button before the VR or BT connects?

It's not the mic. I had the z110 recently installed and was shocked by the poor handsfree quality. Thinking it was the mic, I bought a Clarion mic, tested it by plugging it directly into my cell phone and computer (crystal clear in any condition), and then had them replace the factory mic. No improvement. I still have the same problem everyone else is having; distortion and windnoise. The problem is the unit not the mic! My mic was originally placed in the factory mic spot, but I have later changed it to above the rear view mirror. Not much improvement. I have put a mic wind sock over the mic and have yet to see if that will help any. I will let you know.

My hands free bluetooth seems to work fine. It's the Voice Recognition that doesn't work well for me. For example, I tell the unit "Play artist Weezer" and it tells me it's going to play Eddie Vedder

Are you hitting the map OK button before the VR or BT connects?

Many times I get in my car, I don't even use the NAV when I know where I'm going, so I don't get to that screen.

Many times I get in my car, I don't even use the NAV when I know where I'm going, so I don't get to that screen.

Well you wont see it unless you access the map screen to hit the OK button before VR or BT connects. It is best to leave off on the map screen when you leave your car so the map OK button is the first thing you see when you return to your vehicle.

Well I got my mic in the mail yesterday. So Hooked it up and guess what. IT works great!!! All my friends and family say I sound pretty good when calling them so it's all good from that stand point.

I have a few suggestions to other users that are having troubles. I put my mic above my visor and it's pics up the sound fine. Obviously if you have the AC full blast or the window down you are going to pic up that ambient noise. These mics are good but they are NOT THAT GOOD. So remember, when you are using it it pics up everything and this may be the problem with some of you guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the Garmin mic and was disappointed with the call quality. Still getting complaints that I am garbled, too much wind noise (in a closed vehicle with the A/C almost turned off!!!)

If I turn the volume down on the Pioneer Unit using the Pionee'r's volume control while I am on a call then the people on the other end can hear me better.

If I turn the volume up to a more comfortable level to make it easier for me to hear them then they can't hear me. The Pioneer unit's speakerphone / noise canceling ability is extremely crappy. Before I switched to the Pioneer HeadUnit I had the Chrysler/Mopar UConnect Bluetooth running through my factory stereo and it was crystal clear on both ends. I never had anyone not understand me. Ever.

So, tip: Turn the volume down while you are in the call if people can't understand what you are saying. The Garmin mic won't fix that issue.

I finally found the dual Parrot mic on ebay. I searched for it before but no luck. This time I got it with the keywords: Parrot Twin Mic (so if you can't find it, try looking for Parrot Dual Mic and Parrot Twin Mic...maybe you'll get lucky.)

Currently my Mic is up in the upper corner of my a-pillar area. I think I'll move it down to the dash area when I install the other one.

In the meantime, I'll try taping up the sides and see if that helps at all. I hope it does.

All you had to do is read.... I know I've mentioned it several times in this thread alone....

1)mic placement is crucial.... some people are just hard-headed and want to put it in their car's factory spot or any other spot they "think" is good

2)before you ever pair anything up,<--again, people are hardheaded, and quickly jump to get things connected,

turn the BT volume all the way up on your phone(some phones call it handsfree or headset volume)... turn the BT volume all the way up on the Avic.... and only once you've done this, should you try to pair your phones.... the volume when connected(on a call) is entirely different than the volume in the BT settings menu...<--nobody gets this...

If you have an IPhone.... the ONLY way to turn the BT volume up, is to be connected(on a call) and then use the volume rockers on the IPhone to turn it's BT volume all the way up.... If you pair it to the Avic prior to doing this... then you will need to make a call, and during the call, turn the BT volume up.... then you will have to do a full reset of the Avic... then pair the phone again...

All you had to do is read.... I know I've mentioned it several times in this thread alone....

1)mic placement is crucial.... some people are just hard-headed and want to put it in their car's factory spot or any other spot they "think" is good

2)before you ever pair anything up,<--again, people are hardheaded, and quickly jump to get things connected,

turn the BT volume all the way up on your phone(some phones call it handsfree or headset volume)... turn the BT volume all the way up on the Avic.... and only once you've done this, should you try to pair your phones.... the volume when connected(on a call) is entirely different than the volume in the BT settings menu...<--nobody gets this...

If you have an IPhone.... the ONLY way to turn the BT volume up, is to be connected(on a call) and then use the volume rockers on the IPhone to turn it's BT volume all the way up.... If you pair it to the Avic prior to doing this... then you will need to make a call, and during the call, turn the BT volume up.... then you will have to do a full reset of the Avic... then pair the phone again...

Step back a moment and let's look at what I was saying...I will try to make it more clear and address your points. I'm not saying your advice was bad, but I AM saying that there was MORE to it than just what you were saying. My main reason for responding / posting was to say that turning down the CALL volume on the head unit was the ONLY thing that made it so people could understand me. Everything else was already setup as recommended.

1. Mic placement: I had placed it in the upper left corner on the a-pillar. Non issue, except that I found it hard to get the mic to point directly at my mouth. I've twisted it around a bit and moved it around to get a bit better pointing.

2. My bluetooth volume stays turned up all the time to begin with.

3. It was turning DOWN the call volume while on the call that actually helped people understand what I was saying. I had it turned up loud so that I could hear what they were saying. I could hear them crystal clear with any road conditions rough or smooth but they could not understand what I was saying. As soon as I turned the call volume down on the head unit, it worked smoothly.

4. I don't have an iPhone. That's a moot point.

Also, for your information, I read the Garmin Mic thread long before I noticed this thread. I am trying the electrical tape today so hopefully that will help too.

The problem is that the Pioneer Unit has extremely poor bluetooth audio quality. Even when parked, engine off, it is bad. The factory UConnect bluetooth was so much better than this and worked well with multiple phones. There are some pretty obvious Mic problems and software problems.

Also, for your information, I read the Garmin Mic thread long before I noticed this thread. I am trying the electrical tape today so hopefully that will help too.

Don't point the mic straight at you... it can pick up voice much better from it's sides... taping it will only make it worse... Check out my pic above....

3. It was turning DOWN the call volume while on the call that actually helped people understand what I was saying. I had it turned up loud so that I could hear what they were saying. I could hear them crystal clear with any road conditions rough or smooth but they could not understand what I was saying. As soon as I turned the call volume down on the head unit, it worked smoothly.

This is a perfect example of either your phone's BT volume or your Avic's BT volume not being turned all the way up WHEN you paired the phone for the first time....

It's been a known "issue" since the very first Z's and it carries over to the 110/120.... The BT volume is set at the time of pairing...

Turning the volume up/down DURING a call is COMPLETELY different than when pairing...<--this functionality didn't even exist on the Z1-Z3's.... So it was even more important to make sure you had them turned up prior to pairing.... otherwise, they couldn't hear you, and you couldn't hear them...

I had an f90bt in my f-350. People couldn't even tell I was on handsfree. Just installed x910 in my volvo xc90 and people complained about the sound, and not hearing me/breaking up. I figured maybe cabin design and mic being closer due to smaller cabin. possibly more speaker feedback. I took some foam from the bottom of my iPhone box and zip tied it around the mic. So far all calls have had no complaints. If it continues for another couple days I will do a more permanent foam cover solution. Just passing it on in case someone else wants to try and give their results.