AVIC411.com

MSN Direct to be shut down

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call them again, it is common that you will hear different stories from the people on the phone. They may not be extending the service now that they have had to extend it to so many people but I doubt it. Whatever your going to do you better do it quickly. If anyone else has been told something differently then what we have been told about continuing to get the service for free until 2012 please chime in.

Hmm... I talked to a supervisor since the person I talked to did not even know what I was talking about they told me about that if I wanted a refund it would end around or about the time I got my money back.

While they may have told you that, they've told the rest of us that we will get the refund and service thru 1/1/12. And to your other point, MSN is not "going out of business". While ending the program may not be nice to hear, it is a business decision and not an unethical one at that. Saying they are refunding you an exact amount and then simply not doing so would definitely be an unethical decision, which I would believe they would not do. They may make business decisions that we don't like, but I highly doubt they are going to outright lie to us and then not send the money.

Besides, if it's going to only be 2 year of service $129.95 is not deal for 2 years if you can get annual memberships for $50. So even if they do cancel the service, it would still be cheaper to get the refund and then buy 2 annual memberships for $100, no? This still seems to be a win-win situation in my eyes. Try and likely get the service for the last 2 years for almost free... or get your money back and pay the $50 annual fee twice. Either way, I'm still smilin'.

BTW, I JUST got off the phone with them... AGAIN and the first person, then a supervisor confirmed that my refund check will be coming in 4-6 weeks and I will continue to get service until January 1, 2012. They even called it FREE SERVICE until 2012. They are extending this to customers that had a lifetime subscription as a consolation to being truncated so drastically. At this point my only question is how quickly you can get in on the coat tails of this situation and get yourself 2+ years FREE service.

Not trying to make anyone mad but why would anyone buy this when we know they are going out of business and the old check's in the mail deal does not go over with me. I called and complained about it and was told I could get a full refund but that my service would be discontinued. So those of you waiting for the check I would not be surprised if you get your service cut off.

Microsoft going out of business? Where the heck did you pick that up?!

Update you are correct called them again and they offered me the refund and did say the service would run through 2012. I called Pioneer again to explain my concern since I travel Houston everyday and that feature was my primary reason to buy. They said that in 2 years the Z110BT will be a different model with other options but said they are looking at other options to support traffic on the system past 2012. See I did not know that when you biu something now they also give you the life date of the item so in 2 years my system will need to be replaced. WOW that works out really well for Pioneer. Sad thing is Pioneer makes a great unit, but some choices they are make are stupid. She said they have logged a lot of service notes on this too.

I called up and they said I am getting a refund for $104.07. This is awesome since I got the $99 lifetime subsciption 2 months ago. Somehow I made money on the deal even though the MSN Direct tuner will be useless in 2012. Thanks guys.

They will probably catch that in accounting and refund you the amount you paid. If not, you certainly got even a better deal.

Funny thing is... I keep hearing everyone saying.. I get 2 years for free... well that’s all good and fine... but then what? Or I guess everyone in this forum is wealthy enough to just go buy a new unit then. Well for those who would like their unit to last them a few more years... I have a call into Pioneer and was told last night that R&D is working on another option yes we will have to buy a new adapter but sounded to me that XM module may be in the works... They lady said that the NY Attorney General’s office had many complaints already and that it has to be resolved seeing that they advertise a unit to be able to carry traffic and there is no disclaimer that states it will not be able to in 2 years. It’s called selling under false pretence.

Funny thing is... I keep hearing everyone saying.. I get 2 years for free... well that’s all good and fine... but then what? Or I guess everyone in this forum is wealthy enough to just go buy a new unit then. Well for those who would like their unit to last them a few more years... I have a call into Pioneer and was told last night that R&D is working on another option yes we will have to buy a new adapter but sounded to me that XM module may be in the works... They lady said that the NY Attorney General’s office had many complaints already and that it has to be resolved seeing that they advertise a unit to be able to carry traffic and there is no disclaimer that states it will not be able to in 2 years. It’s called selling under false pretence.

Wow, well let me say this. It's disappointing, yes. Did I buy this unit STRICTLY for the use of the traffic function, no. However, I am confident based on Pioneer and MSN's comments thus far that something else is in the works. And in less than 2 years, I'm sure we will know what that is. There are plenty of people that will buy this head unit that live in areas where MSN Direct was not even available or a benefit. So in 2 years of something bigger and badder is available, I'm sure we won't have any trouble getting a decent price out of our Z's... and that's not even considering that it could all be resolved by a software update and a new module... which I personally am completely satisfied with having to purchase if I have to. Technology changes. Not everything is successful. But there will be something to fill the void and I bet it's better MSN Direct was and will come sooner than 2 years. Any way I look at this, I'm still a happy camper. 2 years is plenty of time for them to come up with a replacement program and I'm sure they are not going to COMPLETELY disregard all those that just bought a Z110 to have traffic ... even though I'm not one of them. Kind of a bummer, but I'm not regretting my purchase in the slightest.

I hear ya.. but I did buy it for the traffic.. I travel the Houston area all day long and XM Traffic saved my butt.. a few times... I sure hope.. I am sure though Pioneer will replace it with something. I got a follow-up email from support and she said they are looking into this. I will say this.. traffic seems to work better now that its free.. LOL :lol: