AVIC411.com

MSN Direct to be shut down

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There likely not going to do anything. There will likely be two future units released to replace this unit by the time our MSN service expires. This unit will be discontinued by this time next year and they will likely offer no support from that point. This is nothing new as most manufactures offer no support once a unit has been discontinued. We may see an update to this unit to support future options but it is highly unlikely. Maybe it is a harsh reality but that is the way it is.

I think I'll just jump ship to Kenwood, but this is going to tank the resale value. No wonder Pioneer is offering rebates.

Do you really think that will be a better solution? Kenwood has been dragging their feet on MSN and now it looks like they new this was coming long ago. Also, the DNX9140 has had quite a few problems with the software and Kenwood has indicated that there is only so much they can do with that unit but that the next unit will be better. Its up to you but I think you will enter a whole new area of problems with switching to Kenwood.

I think I'll just jump ship to Kenwood, but this is going to tank the resale value. No wonder Pioneer is offering rebates.

Do you really think that will be a better solution?

Honestly, I don't know. My research started and ended with the z110 after installing a D3 in wife's car a while back. I briefly considered the x910 because of the hackability. My current Kenwood is ancient. I only mentioned them because in the other forums I browse people have seemed narrowed their choice between the z110 and the 9140. I haven't really looked into alternatives. Like I said, I was out buying a lifetime subscription card earlier today. I suspected something might be up though since the ND-MDT10 is almost gone from the market.

I'm just disappointed. But I may be too deep into this purchase to pull out now. I'm always knee-deep in 3 or 4 projects with my car and I'm hesitant to install something that has such a short lifespan. I guess it's a good excuse to upgrade again though. :|

I'm guessing Pioneer has known about this for some time too. I'm sure they were too deep into manufacturing to do anything but keep their mouth shut and sell as many as they could.

From MSN Direct's website.

The delivery of location-based services in the U.S. and Canada has evolved since Microsoft began offering MSN Direct in early 2004. Leveraging unused FM radio spectrum to broadcast data represented a step forward in 2004, however, many choices today including WiFi, Cellular, FM RDS and other digital networks are now readily available and are continuing to grow in popularity. Despite good initial MSN Direct adoption, these alternatives have significantly reduced demand for MSN Direct service. As such, Microsoft has made the decision to focus future U.S. and Canada investments on these existing network connections and discontinue the MSN Direct services business. Microsoft will continue to explore new ways to leverage the efficiencies of FM digital broadcast in other applications and markets going forward.

Sounds like maybe they have something in the works.

I feel they should run MSN Direct/Traffic/Weather services all through Bluetooth via tethering with a mobile phone. That way your coverage is limited to where you get service with your cell phone. I've thought about this before and there is no reason that Pioneer could not release a firmware update that adds a tethering profile so that phones that support tethering can be used as a modem for the headunit. Garmin has already done similar with the latest batch of Nuvis that support tethering and bring in Google maps traffic info, weather, etc. You can even do google searches via a built in web browser. I honestly don't know why this has not been done earlier. Clarion is doing similar with their MiND MMDs. I think it is definitely in the cards for Pioneer to look to using existing cellular data plans to work as the connection to the head unit.

It is this same reason why I do not see satellite radio (as it exists today) making it another 5-10 years. With cell phones becoming faster and more robust data connectors, whats to stop some company from making a headunit that has a built an internet radio app that tunnels through a cell phone? No more signal dropouts, no more having to buy umpteen million tuners, boxes, antennas every other year. I don't see Pioneer really updating the hardware on the Z too soon. Hopefully they will keep the Z hardware the same for a few more years and just update the software instead. The Z hardware is already very capable, add a bluetooth internet connection profile to the bluetooth software and enable MSN/Google/Whatever service they can work a deal with through that. My $0.02.

If you look at the trend of the AVIC-Z1-Z3, they were all the same unit with software updates.

Pioneer made the MSN unit for the AVIC-Z110BT a add on, so if the trend follows:

Two years from now MSN as we know it will be dead, the Z110 will be out-dated. A new Z (most likely the same hardware with new software) will be out that supports a new add on device with "MSN" like service. Hopefully we can upgrade our Z110 like people did with the older Z series, i.e. Z1 to Z3. Then we could use that add on device...........Maybe.

It's wishful thinking but given the history of the Z series it's possible.

Brian-

Not trying to make anyone mad but why would anyone buy this when we know they are going out of business and the old check's in the mail deal does not go over with me. I called and complained about it and was told I could get a full refund but that my service would be discontinued. So those of you waiting for the check I would not be surprised if you get your service cut off.