AVIC411.com

MSN Direct to be shut down

That's great to hear they are actually working on... something. Mine works great too... except I have to check it before I leave the house, because the Shelby is stuck in the garage until our fresh 3 FEET of snow melts... ugh. :evil: Then again, traffic is easy to determine right now... it's TERRIBLE EVERYWHERE!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for the lack of replies. Swamped with work and only managed to get my card earlier today.

Bought it for $129.95 out-the-door at BestBuy and it was pre-activated. Registered/activated the Z110BT via the MSN Direct web site and 15 minutes later all was well.

Immediately called the MSN Direct customer support line and was refunded $129.12 via check (ETA ~6weeks).

Please let me know if anyone wants/needs any cards. No profiteering here - $129.95 + actual shipping.

Ok I know I'm new here and I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot, but really relax...there are still two years left of service....and as history repeats itself do you really think Pioneer is going to leave all hanging with nothing to replace what is being taken from us? I doubt that. Most likely I would think that it will be replaced with something along the lines of the 3G network. Sure we all enjoy the benefit of MSN Direct....Acutually I haven't even installed mine yet....but the old must go to make room for the new. I look forward to seeing what great product and ideas Pioneer brings to the table! There is no doubt that they are the leader in mobile entertainment so I hope all of you that are thinking about jumping ship....I ask that you sit back and relax...enjoy the tech that you have now and be patient to see what happens next. Again I hope I don't upset anyone....I'm just a diehard Pioneer guy speaking from the heart.

Ok I know I'm new here and I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot, but really relax...there are still two years left of service....and as history repeats itself do you really think Pioneer is going to leave all hanging with nothing to replace what is being taken from us? I doubt that. Most likely I would think that it will be replaced with something along the lines of the 3G network. Sure we all enjoy the benefit of MSN Direct....Acutually I haven't even installed mine yet....but the old must go to make room for the new. I look forward to seeing what great product and ideas Pioneer brings to the table! There is no doubt that they are the leader in mobile entertainment so I hope all of you that are thinking about jumping ship....I ask that you sit back and relax...enjoy the tech that you have now and be patient to see what happens next. Again I hope I don't upset anyone....I'm just a diehard Pioneer guy speaking from the heart.

Well said sir! I vote for best first post ever.

I haven't even installed mine yet.....

Ok I use mine everyday.. I travel all over Houston, TX and it saves me time everyday. Now with that said I can see why you would say sit back and dont worry. Yes 2 years is a long time, however knowing MS it would not surprise me for them to up the time to discontinue the service all together. As for using Nav traffic most likely would not happen because the data that comes from XM or Sirius is digial and the data coming from MSN is analog the radio does not have the ability to decode the digital data. I think Pioneer makes some really good products I think the 110BT is the best Nav on the market but they should fire the person who said lets go with MSN only and not have the ability to use XM Traffic.

No disagreement here... I have a long list of people I'd like to see fired at Microsoft. I don't know their names, but I know some products they helped develop.

I'm sure we'll all be taken care of. Pioneer isn't going to sit back and let it's flagship HU just turn into a joke. And they can't afford for people to have a major reason NOT to buy it.

No disagreement here... I have a long list of people I'd like to see fired at Microsoft. I don't know their names, but I know some products they helped develop.

I'm sure we'll all be taken care of. Pioneer isn't going to sit back and let it's flagship HU just turn into a joke. And they can't afford for people to have a major reason NOT to buy it.

Well, actually it doesn't seem like they have a plan. Got this response from them: "We do not have a replacement product at this time, and no information as to what may be available in 2011 or 2012."

Regardless, I don't believe they are high and dry here. Just can't imagine they are just scratching their heads on the omission of one of the main features of their flagship HU.

If they don't come up with something or an alternative way to get live traffic updates for this HU in 2 years Pioneer will have forever killed their trust with me. $1,200 for a HU that's voluntarily and purposely obsolete in 2 years with little to no resale value. It's one thing for technology itself to make hi-end products obsolete, it's a totally different thing for the company that built a product to do it on purpose. Talk about killing brand loyalty! Who in their right mind would EVER risk purchasing another Pioneer deck again? Certainly not me.

I agree 100% those of you that feel ok with all this are not seeing the Pioneer for what they are. Really look at the F series they came out with. Had numerous issues from day one. I bought one.. it was in my truck for about a week today it sits on a shelf in my garage I put my Z2 back in and was just fine. I waited to see if there were issues with the Z110BT bought it a few weeks ago love it but I use the traffic and its important I was a little worried about going from XM Nav Traffic to MSN, now I know why I was. For a company like Pioneer to just blow off that fact that something they advertise will not have traffic in 2 years is just plain wrong. I would look for them to make a statement on the site of their Z110BT in or about close to the traffic info on the product. Like hey guys yes today you have traffic which by the way will be discontinued by MSN in two years. Also MSN will not be doing any enhansments so what you see is what you get. Oh and MSN support group is being lowered by half. Hmmmm