AVIC411.com

X910BT: Slow UI, no spoken street names

Hi,

I recently had my X910Bt installed. In general, I like it a lot but the following irk me on a daily basis:

1: Slowness: When the device first starts up, it is DREADFULLY slow, to the point where it is really hard to, for example, enter a destination address.

2: No spoken street names: My old OEM (GM) GPS Navi would speak most street names. For example: "Turn right on to sepulveda boulevard". So far, I haven't heard the X910Bt do that. Maybe I'm spoiled, but this seems like a glaring omission to me....?? Is there a setting I have missed?

3: Flaky routing: I wonder if the MSN direct data is messing with the routing, but I have experienced twice that the GPS would direct me to exit a freeway, only to send me right back on to the freeway on the same onramp.

Hi,

I recently had my X910Bt installed. In general, I like it a lot but the following irk me on a daily basis:

1: Slowness: When the device first starts up, it is DREADFULLY slow, to the point where it is really hard to, for example, enter a destination address.

2: No spoken street names: My old OEM (GM) GPS Navi would speak most street names. For example: "Turn right on to sepulveda boulevard". So far, I haven't heard the X910Bt do that. Maybe I'm spoiled, but this seems like a glaring omission to me....?? Is there a setting I have missed?

3: Flaky routing: I wonder if the MSN direct data is messing with the routing, but I have experienced twice that the GPS would direct me to exit a freeway, only to send me right back on to the freeway on the same onramp.

1. Wait for it to finish booting.

2. Read manual, select correct voice.

3. Most likely, but could also be messed up map data...

1. Wait for it to finish booting.

Hmmm.... I guess I have no real choice here, but we're talking several minutes. To me, that's a significant annoyance given how I'm using the device.

Several minutes does seem a bit too long. Do you have anything plugged in?

Several minutes does seem a bit too long. Do you have anything plugged in?

Yes, I usually have both iPod and BT phone connecting. I realize that the more you ask the device to do (in this case connect to the iPod and Bluetooth) the longer it will take. I guess all I'm trying to say is I wish Pioneer had built the device with a much faster processor.

Regarding the spoken street names: I just got done skimming through the owner's manual and I didn't see any mention of which voice / language will speak the street names duing route guidance. I assume it's the "TTS" voice but I don't see it mentioned in the manual...?

1) the biggest downside of the pioneer navs is the slow boot-up. after about 60-90 seconds it should be mostly loaded and should not lag as much.

2)go to MENU, SETTINGS, SYSTEM SETTINGS, REGIONAL SETTINGS, and then choose the Samantha (TTS) options of the voice settings. if the voice you choose does not have "TTS" next to it, it will not pronounce the street names.

3) this is most likely bad map data from TeleAtlas, not Pioneer's fault. i had the same issue with i270, and i395 here in the DC area. they seem to have fixed these roads in v. 3.0 but I would not be surprised if there are other roads throughout the country with similiar issues. i believe there is an interstate around Houston, TX with the same problem. unfortunately there isnt anything you can do.

• 2 weeks later...

3) this is most likely bad map data from TeleAtlas, not Pioneer's fault. i had the same issue with i270, and i395 here in the DC area. they seem to have fixed these roads in v. 3.0 but I would not be surprised if there are other roads throughout the country with similiar issues. i believe there is an interstate around Houston, TX with the same problem. unfortunately there isnt anything you can do.

Last week i had my nav sending me in circles heading through i395 to i495....

• 2 months later...
1) the biggest downside of the pioneer navs is the slow boot-up. after about 60-90 seconds it should be mostly loaded and should not lag as much.

2)go to MENU, SETTINGS, SYSTEM SETTINGS, REGIONAL SETTINGS, and then choose the Samantha (TTS) options of the voice settings. if the voice you choose does not have "TTS" next to it, it will not pronounce the street names.

on the latest models there is no voice options...and only voice command is a males voice w no street announcement

• 1 month later...