AVIC411.com

Sub to Enclosure Gap

Does it matter on the space between the rear of my sub and the wall of the enclosure? If there is only like 1/2 inch to 1 inch gap between the rear and the fiberglass wall will I have any issues? I still plan on keeping the overall spare requirements needed for the sub.

I am using a JL 8W7 in a custom fiberglass enclosure. I am needing to make it as shallow as possible. Any warning against doing this before I start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, it will be a sealed box. Also, regarding polyfill and the inside of the fiberglass box. Should I put anything on the inside to cover the actualy fiberglass? like seal it with anything? Also, what about the Dynamat items they sell for sub enclosures in place of fill ? (the little black squares) Do they work just as well at reducing standing waves?

Thanks

Just make sure the woofer's back plate doesn't hit the enclosure at high volumes. If the enclosure is properly built and doesn't flex, a space of about 3/4" should be OK, but usual rule of thumb is to try and keep a space the diameter of the vent in the back plate of the sub behind it.

• 2 months later...

While on this topic, I might be fiberglassing an enclosure for the first time soon. I got an old used sub donated to me by a friend, and if it really sucks well I may end up going and getting a replacement. Since i'm not in a hurry, I'm going to try to mock up an enclosure of my own for my car, and shop around a bit for a good amp.

How do I determine how big the enclosure should be? I assumed I could just make it the size of the space I wanted to fill?

The sub is a 10" Pioneer TS-W256C, 800W max.

Thanks!

slyk

You can determine the airspace inside an unconventionally-shaped enclosure by filling it with kitty litter and vacuuming it out with a shop-vac. then, just measure the depth of the kitty litter in the canister of the shop-vac, use this formula, http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#cyl and you have the airspace.