AVIC411.com

Do you worry about in-dash theft?

I don't worry at all. I have a $0 comprehensive deductible.

But besides that, no. It's a LOT easier to sell a portable GPS on Craigslist or to an acquaintance for cheap than it is to sell an in-dash device which (assuming the thief didn't take their sweet time), needs to have harnesses and wires bought for it.

That doesn't mean they don't get stolen often, but the likelihood of having a portable GPS stolen is much, much higher than having someone breaking into your car for a PITA to remove without damaging the touchscreen in-dash GPS.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I've lived in a pretty crappy part of Philadelphia for 5 years now, and I only had my car broken into once... for a $5 generic phone charger and a can of mace of all things. I don't park in pay lots or garages. Just street parking.

If you're still super scared, there are a couple places to buy fake faceplates for your radios (like eBay). But obviously this won't fool anyone if you have a really expensive car with a crappy 90s looking faceplate lol

I didnt until my avalanche was broken into and the Alpine IVA-W200 in dash dvd I had was stolen. They used the good ol' GM flaw of plastic clips holding the lock cylinder in place! Punched the lock got in and went to town. So this time around I put on new door handles without key holes, so they will have to break a window. I have heard of folks glueing razor blades to the back of the unit so when they reach in they get a surprise but I barely had enough room to get the monster Z2 in as it is. So in conclusion, as long as there are ghetto people alive on this planet, yes I do worry about it.