AVIC411.com

Hi everyone.

I have a few issues here. I have a 250GB hard drive that I formatted to FAT32, and loaded a bunch of (about 150GBs) music on. Whenever I plug my USB drive in, first of all it is never recognized. The light indicator on my hard drive is on and it seems to be spinning (meaning that enough power is being given to it). Since its a 2.5" drive, I've added an additional power source and use a USB Y-Cable to get power and data to the drive. I'm running 3.01 with the IDT upgrade.

Another weird thing that happens is when the USB drive is plugged in, my SD icon goes blank and my F700BT doesn't read anything from it (more MP3s). If I don't plug my USB hard drive in at all, I can use my SD card without issue. At no point do I see the USB icon light up, allowing me to access it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. All the songs are in folders...this is the generic breakdown:

Audio

Full Albums

each album has a folder

Soundtracks

more subfolders

Foreign

more subfolders

Video

All videos here

The root of the folder only has Audio and Video folders. Everything is within these folders.

I also took the hard drive and just placed some songs on it...but it still had the same problem (not as many maybe a gig or so). Any thoughts?

thanks!

I tried the same myself and had no joy, So looked around and found someone mentioning the USB connector on the poineer units can not quite power a hard drive!!!! There is a way around it which does work but its a work around.

I bought from a local supermarket a car accessory (cigarette lighter) to USB that provides the 5V at 500mA to power the drive, then some drives come with a Y cable. One of the USB connectors on this cable is just for power only which plugs into the adaptor mentionbed above the other (power and USB data) plugs into the the Pioneer unit.

I tried this and got it working, the only problem I have now is the drive needs to be unplugged and plugged back in upon powering the head unit up as its not recognised on boot up. Someone has also mentioned upon putting a delay on timer into the power circuit so that the head unit has had chance to part boot before the drive is powered preventing these issues.

Hope you have the same success as me!

yoan,

Thanks for your insightful post. I'm exactly where you're at except I don't have a working USB drive...grr

When I installed the F700bt on my car, I also installed a cigarette lighter / powered usb drive. I also bought a USB Y-Cable and connect my WD Passport to the Y cable. One end of the Y goes into my powered USB drive the other goes into the USB cable that comes from the avic. I know the USB drive is powered because the cigarette lighter is lighting up (red light that indicates it is receiving power).

I think I might need to do something like put a timer into the power circuit. It makes sense, but I have NO idea how to do that or what that even means. Any ideas on how to go about this? What kind of hard drives are you using for this setup (i.e how large is it?).

thanks!

I tried the same myself and had no joy, So looked around and found someone mentioning the USB connector on the poineer units can not quite power a hard drive!!!! There is a way around it which does work but its a work around.

I bought from a local supermarket a car accessory (cigarette lighter) to USB that provides the 5V at 500mA to power the drive, then some drives come with a Y cable. One of the USB connectors on this cable is just for power only which plugs into the adaptor mentionbed above the other (power and USB data) plugs into the the Pioneer unit.

I tried this and got it working, the only problem I have now is the drive needs to be unplugged and plugged back in upon powering the head unit up as its not recognised on boot up. Someone has also mentioned upon putting a delay on timer into the power circuit so that the head unit has had chance to part boot before the drive is powered preventing these issues.

Hope you have the same success as me!

Hey, check my thread at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29578