AVIC411.com

Weird - my Z110 works with a 250GB Portable HDD

I didn't think it would work, but when i plugged my Seagate FreeAgent Go hard drive, the unit recognized it and plays all mp3s and allows me to list and go to any folder... I have about 28 gigs of music on it...

Here some info: 250GB Seagate Free Agent Go P/N: 9ZA2A4-500

Update: so even with the hard drive, this thing is limited to roughly 2500 files...

it will parse all directories/folders until it reaches the folder and file limit, and will not display the rest of the folders.

post-39382-12872760012071_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would think so. There are supposedly no HW cahnges in the new 120bt so the memory limitations would still apply. I think and this is just a guess, that the 2500 file limit is where the cache stops because if the other memory i used for other things. Ipod, BT and such. It has to retain all that info also. Probably any more than 2500 and it starts messing with other features that need caching.

• 2 months later...

From what I understand, yes. It only allows up to 2500 files.

Has anyone tried using one of these for DivX video only? I would love to throw my movie library on one of these and not have to deal with transfering movies on and off a small thumb drive.

If you have can you tell us what model number you use?

Thanks

Has anyone tried using one of these for DivX video only? I would love to throw my movie library on one of these and not have to deal with transfering movies on and off a small thumb drive.

I would think it would be the same thing if you put videos in your flash drive or hard drive.

From what I understand, yes. It only allows up to 2500 files.

Has anyone tried using one of these for DivX video only? I would love to throw my movie library on one of these and not have to deal with transferring movies on and off a small thumb drive.

If you have can you tell us what model number you use?

Thanks

I'm using 32gb flash drive with videos only and its working fine. I don't like ipod thingy since i hate sync and absolutely hate to use itunes. I like flexibility of flash drive where you delete/add which ever way you want.

It is limited to 2500 files, doesn't matter audio or video. So you can throw your movie collection on it. If you are using external hdd then i will advise to use extra power from sig adapter using dual usb like the one that comes with 2.5 hdd enclosures.

I went out and got a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500gb drive. (product # ST905003FAA2E1-RK) I formatted it to FAT32 using Paragon Partition Manager and then dumped my DivX movies onto it. It's working great for some of the files. The ones that won't play are complaining about the resolution being an incorrect size, so I am working my way through figuring out what it should be, and how to convert the ones I already have easily enough.

I am with you urtruelove78. I like the flexibility of not having to use itunes, which is a horrible program in my opinion. With this setup, I can switch out the hd for my iPod and have access to a 2500 movie library.

If only MusicSphere worked without itunes, I could remove it entirely. If you are looking for a good itunes alternative, try out media monkey.

I went out and got a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500gb drive. (product # ST905003FAA2E1-RK) I formatted it to FAT32.

Great it worked for you. If you don't care about compatibility of your converted videos with ipod and just want for your z110 then try:

Frame Size: 624*272 (640*480 worked but video was cinescope with black bars on top and bottom reducing watchable screen which is in my case unacceptable on 7" screen ;-) )

Video Bit rate: 768 (This is critical for divx video to work from usb or sd)

Audio: mp3

Audio BitRate: 128 (you can try higher but i didn't notice big difference)

I use Any video converter to convert files.

Also cheaper alternative is to buy laptop harddrive and enclusure for it if you are comfortable working with computer parts.

If you are looking for a good itunes alternative, try out media monkey.

I am with you on this. It's very easy to use.

All USB capable head units have a similar limitation. iPod is the way to go if you want to avoid such limitations.

Kind of. Kenwoods are worlds ahead in this area, with a 65k file limit - 255 folders, 255 files per folder.

Still a PITA, but you can split up albums across folders and it will still show up unified when you browse using tag info.

This was the biggest reason that I almost went with a DNX9140 instead of a Z110BT.