AVIC411.com

N1 to N3 brain or chip replacement.

Has anybody even attempted to replace the N1 brain/chip with an N3?

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I just recently installed the N3 software, performed the bypass, and installed the ipod and xm modules.

The ipod interface is so offensive and crappy that I'm seriously considering the smd rework. I'd just like to know if anybody has actually proven if this theory is sound.

this site is great, thanks for the info. 8)

I have an N2, with the most recent version of the iPod adapter installed. I agree, the interface is crap. I would actually prefer to just control the iPod direct if this is all I am left with. The iPod will not work as designed unless you have a N3. You will also get the full function of the XM receiver. There is a service listed on eBay, that will upgrade to an N3, which involves hardware upgrades. I have searched the site here, and generally see that it would be difficult for a novice electrician to make the upgrades, let alone one would need a parts list, etc. I have emailed the guy on eBay, and I am waiting for a response. However, $300 is a lot for the upgrade. It looks like I can get about $600-$650 for my N2 on eBay, and then add another $300-$350 to get a refurbished N3, which I am thinking would be about as good as upgrading.

I was mostly wondering of the guy on ebay is just swapping the controller chip as GnatGoSplat describes in the post i linked.

I'm aware the swap is considered "difficult". I was planning to practice on cheaper electronics first and get the technique down. But before i go into "Solder Ninja" training, i just wanted to know if that was it.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...