AVIC411.com

Are there any mods to speed up boot time?

I am a x910bt owner but that forum is dead over there so since all the f series mods work on the x series I figured I would ask here.

Bascially I am just looking to speed up the boot time. I would also like it to always default to the fm radio at start up. Will disabling anything speed it up at all?

The boot time has already been significally sped up compared to the old pre 2.0 F-series software. You have to remember, that this is Windows CE which loads according to a registry similiar to your windows operating system in your computer. Right now, there is nothing available nor would there ever be as it is not worth risking the stability of the system to gain an extra 15 seconds to boot up.

You have to remember, that this is Windows CE which loads according to a registry similiar to your windows operating system in your computer.

That right there says it all. It's Windows. In an effort to support all the functions that it does, it takes a lot of time. Frustrating, definitely. But there really is not a viable alternative.

What does the x910 use for a hard drive? Is it a mechanical or SSD? If it is a mechanical then an SSD would speed it up 10 fold easily.

I get FM radio (when its booting to that ) in about 10 seconds, that is tolerable for me. but for the main screen to show up its another 25 seconds or so, then to be fully responsive to all touches immediately its about another minute.

This is my first radio like this. Are they all like this between all different brands regarding boot up time?. I want to like the thing considering i spent $700 for it (plus another $300 in stuff just to get it to fit in my durango) but I already see my self dumping it off next year for a newer model or even just saying screw it now and go back to a single din.

How often does pioneer release firmware updates? are we going to be seeing any more improvements or is this it?

I dont see any future firmware updates making bootup that much faster.. I would either say try to get use to it.. or get a remote start =P I hardly ever see my boot screen and if i do its only for a cpl seconds.. for small stops Ive put a lil push button on my dash to activate the remote start so when im stopping off at say the gas station for some beer or whatever.. i press it.. wait 2 seconds and take the keys out.. car stays running.. therefore so does my avic..

EDIT* obviously remote starts are good for more than just missing my boot screen also! Like keeping my a$$ warm this time of year =P

What does the x910 use for a hard drive? Is it a mechanical or SSD? If it is a mechanical then an SSD would speed it up 10 fold easily.

I get FM radio (when its booting to that ) in about 10 seconds, that is tolerable for me. but for the main screen to show up its another 25 seconds or so, then to be fully responsive to all touches immediately its about another minute.

This is my first radio like this. Are they all like this between all different brands regarding boot up time?. I want to like the thing considering i spent $700 for it (plus another $300 in stuff just to get it to fit in my durango) but I already see my self dumping it off next year for a newer model or even just saying screw it now and go back to a single din.

How often does pioneer release firmware updates? are we going to be seeing any more improvements or is this it?

It's not an SSD, it's a basic flash drive (like you'd get with a USB stick). Mechanical drives aren't really that great in a mobile environment. Even if you had an SSD, I highly doubt you would see such a huge increase in speed. There are a lot of things that Windows is doing to get you to the point where the AVIC is fully booted.

Different brands will most likely have different boot up times. If the minute or so is too long for you, I would suggest you go back to a standard radio. I'm not saying it to be a dick about it. It's just that in the scheme of things in regards to the various methods the AVIC is able to play media, a 60 second or so boot time is totally reasonable. I have had mine since April of this year, and done four updates to it (most notably 3.0.1 and some of the hacks) and I love the unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Boot time and mods, it is a tough choice for me and in the end I think the pros outweigh the boot time issue. We can mod the crap out of this unit. Custom screens, backgrounds, colors, screen layouts and what info is displayed and the grand king of them all, the software over-ride, at least for me. It is worth the extra few seconds, you can get rolling and do what you need in a block because you aren't locked out of the unit like other systems (or oems).

Yeah my OEM camry nav is on like instantly but I also have to sit and wait in the garage or driveway to program the destination because as soon as I hit 1mph I am locked out. In my civic (avic) I jump in and go and when I hit the light at the end of the block I load the destination in. So, really, I an up and going faster than I am in the other car. All in all it is prolly the same amount of time.

I bought the system because of the mod ability and it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

As has been said , it uses normal flash memory.

A SSD wouldn't be any faster that a traditional HDD in this environment as the system has a lot of small files and an SSD is no faster than a HDD for small files. The best cure for the 'slow speed' of the current F series range would be to improve the databus interface (think of ATA33 and ATA100) to speed up transfers across the bus and , to use faster flash chips like the Z110/F10 has.