AVIC411.com

Sirius, is this siriusly the sound quality I can expect????

Okay, got the Sirius box connected on Friday and all wired up and ready to go, just in time for a long drive to see my folks for belated turkey dinner.

After hearing all the raves about Sirius from my friends and from some in this forum, I have to say, I was a little disappointed in the fidelity of the sound.

My hope is that by posting this someone out there will tell me I've configured something wrong or perhaps there's an upgrade on the way but for the time being, it sounds like I ripped a CD at like 48/kbs. I'm getting digital aliasing noise all over the place. There appears to be nothing in the signal above something like 10kHz and little below perhaps 100hz.

Just really thin and empty. :cry: Like listening to a streaming radio on a dail-up.

The fact I took the bait on the lifetime subscription has my stomach churning on this......... and will all these left overs to eat, that's just sad.

Can anyone offer any comments, hopes, advice?

Thanks to all! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Weekend!

I had the same questions when I installed Sirius on my D2. I couldn't believe how bad the sound quality was - sounded like AM radio. I've been looking for the answer to the same question and everything I've heard thus far is pretty consistent...unfortunately what you're hearing is about as good as it gets.

On my unit the FM radio sounds night and day better than Sirius. I really can't even listen to the music stations but I'll probably keep the membership anyway just for the talk radio (added my unit to a buddy's plan for $6.99/mo). The other thing I had a hard time understanding was the interface - pathetic. I still haven't bothered to figure out how that thing works.

Sorry - wish there was a better answer!

wow i thought it was just me. not only was i upset because i didnt have the same type of interface as my xm unit, but my sound quality is poor also. I have to turn the radio way up to get even the same volume as my radio or cd's. Not just that but the actualy interface isnt very friendly. There are no real icons and it seems like sometimes it loads rather slow between stations. :cry:

I don't wanna say "I told ya so...." LOL

But if you do a Google search, you will see that Sirius uses an older (much older) compression codec to relay its digital signal. XM, while not perfect, uses a newer codec and has a bit of better sound quality. Some people on SatRad fan boards have actually used meters to test the sound quality output of the two services using the same audio setup with comparable SatRad receivers, and it seems XM always came out better (notice I didnt say perfect. Neither SatRad service has awesome sound quality). Just that XM has a bit of a better quality. Sirius has a tinny sound to it. But of course, now people will post here that its impossible, their Sirius sounds perfect. So to each his own.

Sorry about the lifetime subscription. I wouldve done a one or a three month plan just to get a feel for it.

Mine soudns great....I had a sportster before...it ran wirelessly fm and then with a fm modulator....the z1 sounds perfect with sirius..I also had xm on a 100% complete sonyunit a few years ago (in dash tv, dvd changer, cd changer, xm, tvt tuner, etc) and still think sirius sounds better...just my .02 (also have sirius throughout my house in 8 different rooms again...sounds perfect)