AVIC411.com

AVOX Jukebox Questions

Ok so I installed the avox in my car with the D2 over the weekend. everything went smoothly overall. However the psp car charger adaptor wasnt fitting in snugly to the back of the avox so i went to radioshack and found a better fitting plug and connected that instead.

As far as usability, doesnt it hurt the HD everytime the car shuts off cuz its just killing power to the HD abruptly? Also, is there a way to have the avox remember where you left off in a video so that it can resume the next time you startup? (i havent really read through all the instructions). And it doesnt play WMV files?

The manual for the AVOX states " Do not turn off power while a file is in use." But also states "Unplug all cables when not in use". So I guess as long as you close the file you are using before you shut off the car, you should be fine. Check page 5 of the manual here--- http://www.vantecusa.com/products/avox/ ... manual.pdf

sajid,

I have a firmware update for the unit that will allow you to resume playback where you left off when power was cut off to the unit. When I get home I will post it here for you. Also, when you turn off the car with the avox still plugged in, you will here a high pitched sound winding down. That is the power in the unit being expunded (released) because it was shut off. this extra 2 or 3 seconds of power will properly shut down the harddrive (and for old school nerds, properly park the HD heads as well) :)

Expunded? Wow! Powerful word on the Scrabble board.... :) Will the update you have work even if someone just pulls the plug on it?
Yes, it works for me. I was watching HBO's Weeds Season 2 on my Avox sitting in the parkinglot before work, and just pulled the plug. When I got out of work, I booted it up, and the popup screen came up asking if I would like to Resume, Start from Beginning, or Cancel and go back to main media menu. :) Craving an AVOX yet? LOL
thanks i just went to the vantec homepage and downloaded the update.

Actually, you want to install the firmware for the Mediagate MG-25. as you can see from the picture below, it is the same exact product, just packaged differently. The MG25 and Avox are identical. The menus look exactly the same. For some reason the MG25 has a newer firmware update than the one listed on Vantec's site. I am using MG25's newer firmware with no issues whatsoever. If you want second opinions, let me know and I will link you to other forums where everyone with an AVOX is using the MG25 firmware. Here is the link to the firmware:

http://www.airlinktek.com/english/firmw ... 06.upgrade

Just follow the directions in the manual on how to apply the firmware update.

mg25_top3.gif

Vantec has the 1.4.7 drivers up, but yeah the MG-25 is the same..so use whatever.

http://www.vantecusa.com/drivers/AVOX_1_4_7_EN.zip

I got one of these, but unfortunately it's not really meeting my needs. I wanted to be able to play mp3s with it, but it will only restart the last song that was playing and then stops. plus no playlist support. They should really GPL the firmware (which legally they should anyway) and let us fix it for free, because you know we would.

Yes, it works for me. I was watching HBO's Weeds Season 2 on my Avox sitting in the parkinglot before work, and just pulled the plug. When I got out of work, I booted it up, and the popup screen came up asking if I would like to Resume, Start from Beginning, or Cancel and go back to main media menu. Smile Craving an AVOX yet? LOL

actually for me it will not resume where i left off if i just turn the car off. I have to power the unit down first.

Are you sure its not resuming from the place prior to the last time (when you shut it down properly).

Second question: Are you guys able to fast forward and rewind without any issues? The unit locks up for me everytime i try to do either. Im playing avi files if that makes a difference..

I dont usually shut down the unit properly. I either just turn the car off, which is an ACC line so it turns off automatically, or I just pull the plug itself. So I am definitely not normally hitting the POWER button to turn it off. As for FF/RW, it works fine for me. I never had any issues whatsoever. Whats the exact specs on the harddrive you are using? Brand, size, rpms, how was it formatted (NTFS/FAT32)?

hmm well my unit doesnt seem to do what yours does. If i just turn the car off, and not power the avox down, it will not resume from where i left off. And I dont really see how it could because the power is being taken away before it can save any of the data to its memory.

secondly, my ff and rw have still been very flakey and now since i got the IR extender, my unit has become even more flakey in that its not turning on every time. I double checked all my wiriing and its all in tact, and the unit even does light up initially when i turn the car on so i know its getting juice, but it just wont turn after that. I need to keep messing with the remote. And its a brand new remote with a new battery, ive only had it for a couple weeks now.

I applied the upgrade off the vantec site, i think i might try the one of the mg site that you linked.

This is such a nifty device, i just wish it would be as responsive as it should be..

oh, i have 40gig 5400rpm drive NTFS.