AVIC411.com

Lack of Points of interest

I picked up a 310 yesterday at Best Buy, but before I even install it, I am reading horror stories of the lack of points of interest.

Whats the deal with Pioneer selling a card for $99! for something that should have come built into the unit!

Anyone found any hacks etc to download them?

I understand there is a iPhone app, but doesnt that just let me enter points? I want to be able to drive on vacation etc and find points of interest on my route like resturants.

I picked up a 310 yesterday at Best Buy, but before I even install it, I am reading horror stories of the lack of points of interest.

Whats the deal with Pioneer selling a card for $99! for something that should have come built into the unit!

Anyone found any hacks etc to download them?

I understand there is a iPhone app, but doesnt that just let me enter points? I want to be able to drive on vacation etc and find points of interest on my route like resturants.

Yep, there's no two ways about it -- Pioneer screwed the pooch on that one.

When I want to find a POI, I jump on my iPhone and search Google Maps for an address, then enter it manually. Pioneer's iPhone application works, but isn't really that useful. I spent more time fiddling with getting it to sync than just entering things manually, although it might be worth it if you planning an entire trip. I guess if you have a smart phone doing it manually is a passable but inconvenient way to do things. (At least the POIs on Google are up-to-date.)

There's a site called POI friend that will let you download a subset of POIs that you find useful. I never found it worthwhile, but I'm definitely checking it for red light/speed camera lists for my next trip.

http://www.poifriend.com

I plan on buying the card (CNSD-OPU003) at some point after Pioneer stops selling the U310BT and it falls to $20 on clearance (like I've seen them do for other navis). It's a shame Pioneer couldn't have just sold it for $20-$25 in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I am amazed someone hasnt posted a torrent of that card by now. LOL.

$99 for the CNSD-OPU003

How do they justify that?

I will check out that link you posted. Thanks for that. :)

It is not just posting the PIO card for download. You need the unique key generated by Pioneer on their website based on Update SD card id and unit serial number, at that point of activation. You can not simply upload copy and use it.

As it has been mentioned several places, even in 400k POIs( instead of 12million), they explicitly removed Restaurants and Gas stations which are very much needed.

The AVIC feeds application sucks for the fact that you can not have more than 100 POI(which are not searchable by the way) in each feed. For example Shell POI listing is more than 5k, but you can only add first 100.

I think Pioneer is paying the price for their mistake on this unit, as not been selling very well, thus heavily discounted( $325 for the unit on Amazon).

• 3 months later...

This is my main complaint about the unit as well.

POIs are what make the unit usefull.

Someone calls me says I'll meet you at this restaurant.. I can't find it or any other business like say walmart costco or anything.

I had an f series and had to get waranty at future shop. They replaced it with this piece of crap.

I am vary upset with it.

I want my F710 back!

Why couldn't they have put similar firmware to the x series.

Addresses are even incorrect on this thing.. my f series was much more acurate. Why? don't they use the same map provider?