AVIC411.com

XM Signal cuts in and out

XM needs a clear sight of the sky from all angles. With the antenna mounted on the dash, depending on where you live, if you are headed away from the two satellites, your direct line from the antenna to the satellites could be blocked by the roof. If in an urban area with repeaters (ground stations) the reception should be less affected, but if not near repeaters, line of sight is required.

The two XM satellites are basically over GA/AL and NM/AZ (plus or minus a few hundred).

GPS, which also requires direct line of sight, has 26 satellites that travel north/south in a looping formation, so the GPS on the dash will almost always pick up at least four satellites.

Oooh, I got schooled by PaisanNYC on this already. Apparently, XM has 2 more satellites up now, Rhythm and Blues, to go along with Rock and Roll. But also, make sure that there is a piece of metal under the antenna, to act as a reflector. It only needs to be about 2.5" square.

Oooh, I got schooled by PaisanNYC on this already. Apparently, XM has 2 more satellites up now, Rhythm and Blues, to go along with Rock and Roll. But also, make sure that there is a piece of metal under the antenna, to act as a reflector. It only needs to be about 2.5" square.

Yes you have been "expunded"! That just sounds cool. Ok I'm done with the useless posts. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Oooh, I got schooled by PaisanNYC on this already.
Ouch sarcasm LOL Actually XM 4 ("Blues") is still in testing, having just reached optimum geostationary orbit. Once XM4 is fully up and running (and hopefully utilizing heiarchal modulation), XM1 and XM2 ("Rock" and "Roll") will be powered down and kept in orbit as spares.