AVIC411.com

Pioneer vs. OEM systems

My question is why does Pioneer have in place the disabling of most of the navigation controls by design?

My friends have a 2004 Honda Odyssey with NAV and my wife has a 2006 Mercedes with NAV and they allow you to take full advantage of its controls while driving. I just recently purchased the Z1 for my other car and realized all the functions that are disabled while driving.

In order to get these functions back you have to rig a bypass, which technically is illegal, but yet these other OEM models work with no problem. What's the deal??

Actually, most factory navigation units I've come across have a lockout built into them, whether it be a GPS/motion interlock or simply pulling the e-brake. It usually only locks out address entry or search through the keyboard entry method, though. Every OEM unit will lock out video, though. At least every one sold in the USA.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting how tort law affects some OEM systems, while others are perfectly fine. And it's not a Japaneese vs. Domestic thing either. Lexus locks out their nav systems big time. Can't even touch the screen once the car is above 1-2mph.

Acura does have an awesome GPS. I would love it if they standardized the communication protocal from the A/C control board to the compressor. That way you could integrate factory climate controls into an aftermarket unit. Cadillac's (probably others too) turn down the A/C when you make a phone call/OnStar. Clever!