AVIC411.com

Bypass Mod Void Warranty

Situation: Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have done the hard wire bypass mod on my f90bt (just so my passenger could use navigation while I was driving) and the unit was working fine for about two weeks but then the unit would keep resetting itself randomly at times. Eventually the unit would not even start, it would load the splash screen but then reset and attempt to start over but fail again and again. After holding both map and nav buttons the holding the reset button I eventually got the unit to start however, the gps and blue tooth were disabled and after a half hour of driving it reset itself. I purchased the unit refurbished about a month ago and called it in to get service and the service rep asked me if I was able to view videos while driving, fearful that if I said yes then it would void the warranty I said no I wasn't.

Questions: If I did tell service rep I could watch navigate while driving would that void my warranty service? Also are there any known issues with the hard wire bypass?

Sorry for the massive post.

Dont ever tell them it is bypassed. They wont ever know if you send it in because you will only need to send the unit, not the wiring harness. Now, this problem is mostly likely do to some issue with the bypass wiring. Go back and check the wiring to make sure something has not come loose. Pay special attention to the relocated wire.

Thanks guys. Like VBLUE said I figured there will be no way of telling since I did the hard wire bypass and not software. k_afshari, I figured I'd let them look into that since its still under warranty, so I did send my unit out to get service so well see what they say. In the mean time I will check the harness in case it has come loose.

Side note...very impressed at the response time this forum has!

If they call you back and try to accuse you of doing the hardware bypass mod, deny it. There is no way to tell unless you look at the wiring. That doesn't prevent them from bluffing though.

I would have removed the gpspara*.bin files from the AVIC and seen if that fixed your issue.

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone was curious they just reinstalled my OS. Could have saved myself 20 bucks of shipping and done that myself....at least I know what to do in case it happens again. They didn't say if there was an issue but I figure since its a refurbished one if that's the only problem then I don't care.