AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna location

Ok, got a problem which has been annoying me for months and I'm hoping someone here has come across the same problem and found a resolution.

I've got a Pioneer F10BT with the GPS installed under the dash of my A3. I'm finding that the vehicle location displayed on the nav is generally a constant 30 metres from where I acually am. whenever I turn into a street the arrow turns prior to the actual street and then once it realises it jumps onto the correct street but again lags 30 metres or so. Even when I manually correct it eventuall lags off again.

Does anyone one think the dash is somehow causing the problem? I generally receive full satellite reception and I'm advised that the GPS antenna is mounted well away from the unit as per specs.

I've got an old TomTom which I used as a comparison and it tracks superbly.

I know the quick answer would be to have it moved from under the dash to see how it affects it but I not technically minded and I don't want to move it if it will have the same result.

Ok, got a problem which has been annoying me for months and I'm hoping someone here has come across the same problem and found a resolution.

I've got a Pioneer F10BT with the GPS installed under the dash of my A3. I'm finding that the vehicle location displayed on the nav is generally a constant 30 metres from where I acually am. whenever I turn into a street the arrow turns prior to the actual street and then once it realises it jumps onto the correct street but again lags 30 metres or so. Even when I manually correct it eventuall lags off again.

Does anyone one think the dash is somehow causing the problem? I generally receive full satellite reception and I'm advised that the GPS antenna is mounted well away from the unit as per specs.

I've got an old TomTom which I used as a comparison and it tracks superbly.

I know the quick answer would be to have it moved from under the dash to see how it affects it but I not technically minded and I don't want to move it if it will have the same result.

This will cause a problem. My antenna is beneath the windshield and because so my elevation is always off, presumably because of the delay/interference caused by the laminated glass. When the antenna is placed outside, it is spot-on every time.

The other thing that will cause inaccuracies is speed. If you're not traveling fast enough, it can happen where the dead-reckoning in the GPS is off because there isn't enough distance between fixes to quickly pinpoint your location.

Thanks mate. The manual states installing on the windscreen should be fine?

The thing I don't get is even when I'm stationary at an intersection it thinks I'm 20 metres or so back? I always receive excellent satellite signal reception. If the dash was causing some kind of interference i.e delay to receiving the signal wouldn't you think that once stationary it would be fine as the sat signal is constantly being received and updated adjusted? I wouldn't think it has something to do with the mapping as the TomTom using the same supplier.

if the dash was causing some kind of distortion would it not affect the number of satellites reported as being received.

Cheers...

this shouldnt be happening. put the gps antenna outside, on the roof if possible and test for a few hours. Just carefully close the wire in a rarely used door or run it thru a window slightly open.

If it does not correct, contact pioneer.

One of my cars has the crazy windshield uv heat rejecting stuff...... My F500BT would barely acquire satellites and when it did acquire, it was inaccurate and intermittent - often dropping signal for minutes at a time. I added an external antenna and the problem is gone.

The fact that you show signals received means it may require calibration or repair ..... my signals ranged from none to 2 or 3 max and the strength was low low before i added the external.

Thanks mate. The manual states installing on the windscreen should be fine?

The thing I don't get is even when I'm stationary at an intersection it thinks I'm 20 metres or so back? I always receive excellent satellite signal reception. If the dash was causing some kind of interference i.e delay to receiving the signal wouldn't you think that once stationary it would be fine as the sat signal is constantly being received and updated adjusted? I wouldn't think it has something to do with the mapping as the TomTom using the same supplier.

if the dash was causing some kind of distortion would it not affect the number of satellites reported as being received.

Cheers...

Ok we seem to have eliminated the antenna location causing the issue. Installer think it might have something to do with the canbus vss feed. Anyone had any experience with the VSS causing location inaccuracies? Won't be able to test for a week or so. Bar the VSS the only other thing left as the possible issue is the mapping I guess..

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting. Are you using the the little metal plate that the manual say's to use under the antenna. Your antenna is magnetic and is supposed to be mounted on that plate. I noticed my wife's ( Joan ) F900bt takes a little longer to find it's position than my F90bt. I tried moving my antenna from the right side of my dash in my chevy ( It's on top of the dash inside next to the piller ) to the drivers side it maded no difference. Both cars are parked inside so it takes a little longer to get position. If I leave it parked outside it's dead on.

post-37027-12872760884078_thumb.jpg

I have an update. I just placed Joans antenna on her F900Bt installed in her Vibe on the little metal as the manual say's to to do. Yes it works better on the plate. Maybe the dash doesn't have any metal at that part and I had used dubble sided tape to mount it. So I would say to use that plate it might help. :D