AVIC411.com

Navi Problems. Stuck in New York

When I had my unit those symptoms were due to and hardware or internal software failure. Basically, at some point, the GPS looses its ability to process location from the sats even though it will show full signal strength. In both case with me, the units had to be replaced. There has also been several other reports of people on this forum having the same behavior with their units.

How long have you been using it? On mine, it took forever to update from the previous owner's location to mine. I think it had something to do with the large distance between the two areas. I haven't specifically read this related to the D3, but in most GPS units the software assumes that, when acquiring a signal, you are near the last known location of the unit. If you are not (eg, more than 150 miles distant from last known location), the unit requires much longer to "find" your current location. During this time, the unit is sifting through the data streams received from the GPS satellites and trying to figure out if you have really moved by 150+ miles, or if there are problems with the data it is receiving. I suggest finding an open location (with multiple satellite reception) and staying stationary for a long period of time while the unit locks in. I also noticed that with the D3, it seemed that having the VSS wire connected had a significant impact on speeding up the learning process. In any event, once it gets locked in, you shouldn't have this problem again.

None of this applied to my situation with two D3's I owned and there are reports of the problem from others that were posted on here some years back. The problem in my case slowly began and progressively got worse to the point that a reset would not remedy the problem.