AVIC411.com

ipod emulator

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish this wasn't such an open and closed subject. I bet for a while people we're saying that we'd never get 3.0 runing on the F90BT, but as of a few days ago, I had the simpliest FX3.1 installation on my F90BT that I've ever done. Since the iPod has it's own software, I still don't see why it can't be made to run on an HDD other than an HDD being a disk vs physical memory.

The problem with searching for an iPod on ebay is that MILLIONS of them show up, so even if I wanted to make my first iPod purchase for being able to simply use it as a place to store mostly videos and some music, I wouldn't even know where to start and/or which one to get. I have NO clue what the differences are between a Nano, Touch, the largest sized iPod they make, which one will connect directly to the F90BT, etc. Is anyone willing to take a few minutes and school me/us along with posting a couple of ebay ads for what would be a good one to find (broken screen, etc) that will work as a storage device and nothing else?

That narrows it down a little, thanks. I didn't know an iPod 160gb had an actual internal HDD and still has the room for a screen, buttons, etc while still being a small device. So that changes my whole perception that I stated above in fact that the internals of an iPod is a physical drive not just memory like in an SD card. So once again, what's keeping people from taking a drive like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Laptop-Apple-iPod-C ... 335e2ffae8 and transferring it over to a 2.5 HDD, throwing it into an external case and making it work?

Before someone reading this tells me to go ahead and do it, I wouldn't even know where to start, so save the flaming. Point is, after seeing some of the mod writeups done for my deck, it's been proven someone out there is obviously smarter than me, so why can't this be done?

I realize I can use an HDD and I know it's only goint to hook up through USB, I'm asking my question based on the thread title...putting iPod software or an emulator onto the drive so that every time we plug in the HDD, the AVIC sees it as an iPod and runs it as such so we can avoid all the lagging, etc issues that people have mentioned from using an HDD.

You didn't answer the question with a why not, you just defaulted to "no" because it hasn't been done. Since the iPod is a harddrive running software that feeds to a screen, I still don't see why any HDD can't be made into an Ipod harddrive by taking it's software and just transferring it to something else.

Doesn't the iPod convert movies and and music into it's own specific format? This might sound too easy, but what about loading an external HDD with movies and music in the iPod specific format, folder arrangement, etc...maybe the deck would just default and think it's an iPod.

All my computer, external HDD's, cables, etc are in Boise and I'm in Seattle, but I was playing with my little brothers iPod while helping him load music, and when it was plugged into his PC, it opened up just like a thumbdrive with folders for pics, music, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it convert all of it's music to mp4a...what about movies?

I was reading this thread http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... et+on+avic, but it still sounds like there are hitches on how quickly it recognizes and plays the files. Maybe it's something as simple as a complete format change of file types and folder structure as to how they're placed onto the hard drive instead of compressing/converting based on resolution. Am I still way off here then?

You didn't answer the question with a why not, you just defaulted to "no" because it hasn't been done. Since the iPod is a harddrive running software that feeds to a screen, I still don't see why any HDD can't be made into an Ipod harddrive by taking it's software and just transferring it to something else.

An iPod/iPhone is more than just storage space (i.e. a HDD). It has RAM, a CPU and an operating system, and the "iPod software" is pretty much the OS + native applications that run on that hardware. A HDD/thumb drive/SD card is just storage space, it doesn't "run" anything the way you're thinking of.

What you and the OP are asking for is an application running on the Nav unit or, more likely, a change to the nav unit software that would read the contents of the thumb drive and display everything as though it were coming from an iPod. You'd have to get Pioneer to do that.

It isn't something as simple as file format or directory structure.