AVIC411.com

My First attempt at Custom Wallpapers

ohlarikd from the12volt.com found a program to open the pim's in COLOR!
We have finally cracked the D1's image format!

Here are all the D1's wallpapers in JPEG:
[url=http://jasonhilton.us/d1/backgrounds/finished/]http://jasonhilton.us/d1/backgrounds/finished/[/url]
Some more general info:

The PIM files have 16 byte headers. They are 16-bit color, with each pixel represented by two bytes in a 5:5:6 bit RBG pattern. Jason was the first to discover that they can be opened as RAW files in Photoshop, but they come out as grayscale. Photoshop can't import 16-bit color RAW files. We have since figured out that Irfanview can read these files using the RAW input format in color because it allows many more import options. Either rename the PIM file to RAW, or select the option 'Open as RAW'.

So the problem we have now is that although we can open them, we can't save them back as 16-bit 5:5:6. I tried Irfanview, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Paint, Sony Picture Gear Lite, Corel Paint. All save as 24-bit color which cannot be read properly by the D1. At least I assume so.

So anyone out there know of a paint / photo application that can read and write 16-bit 'high color (65535 color)' images?? Actually, we just need the SAVE option. You can work with 24-bit color in Photoshop, save the image as 24-bit RAW. Then import it into the as-yet-unknown application and resave it as 16-bit 5:5:6. Then you need to add on the 16-byte PIM header that can taken from any PIM file using HackMan Hex Editor.

We'll figure it out soon. I emailed the Irfanview guys to see if they can make a version that allows this....

Derek
2005 Dodge RAM 2500 QC