AVIC411.com

(Double post. Sorry) AVIC-X910BT or the AVIC-Z110BT

AVIC-X910BT covered by insurance or the AVIC-Z110BT for an extra $450 out of pocket?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. AVIC-X910BT covered by insurance or the AVIC-Z110BT for an extra $450 out of pocket?

• AVIC-X910BT covered by insurance?
    • AVIC-Z110BT for an extra $450 out of pocket?

(This is a double post from the AVIC-X910BT forum. Sorry. I just want to be sure the X people and the Z people out there both see this.)

I had a AVIC-D1 until it was stolen from my car last week. They were not gentle and did a good amount of damage to my dash and the door handle. I'm hoping karma gets them back for me.

So insurance is going to cover a new AVIC-X910BT and repair all the damage. Or for an additional $450, I can have a new AVIC-Z110BT. I'm already paying a $500 deductible, so the $450 puts me up to nearly a grand. So my question is: Is it worth it? The extra $450 will be difficult to sell my wife on. I have no experience with either unit. Any one out there have any advise for me? Is the Z110BT so much better than the X910BT? Is it $450 and an argument with my wife better?

According to the X series forums, there still seem to a lot of inconsistent and unpredictable issues with those units causing a lot of frustration with users. The Z on the other hand is nearly rock solid and most seem to love the unit. I have owned both units as well as the Kenwood DNX9140 and I can tell you that the Z is the better unit. Also, the CES show is next week in Vegas and it is anticipated that the Z will get an update and new units will be announced. We will know the skinny as soon as the announcements are made so I would hold out until we see what happens after next week.

I would certainly inquire as to how long you can wait. A lot of insurance companies will just send you a check for the damages. Also, if your considering the X series, don't take my word for it as I no longer have that unit. But certainly browse the X series forums to make a determination as too weather you feel you will be satisfied with that unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a remote start and keyless entry with an alarm function, but I did not have the alarm part connected. I hate alarms and no one cares when they hear one going off anyway. When you hear a car alarm, do you call the cops? Everyone just thinks, "Oh, that guy doesn't know how is dumb alarm works." And they always seem to go off in the middle of the night.

But that said, yes, I will be connecting the alarm now.

And I went with the Z. It is to be installed today by the insurance company's installer.

Get a two way alarm system and you will know when it is going off. I keep my alarm remote next me at all times when I am at home and above my bed at night when I am a sleep. If mine ever goes off I will know it and will be sticking my gun in someones face. So far, several cars around me have been burglarized but mine has not.

Get a two way alarm system and you will know when it is going off. I keep my alarm remote next me at all times when I am at home and above my bed at night when I am a sleep. If mine ever goes off I will know it and will be sticking my gun in someones face. So far, several cars around me have been burglarized but mine has not.

what is the name of the alarm system you have in your car? Ive been looking into getting one that has the 2 way communication..

Thanks!

Mine is a two way (Alert is the make, forget the model) that has similar alerting abilities and the remote start, LCD screen, etc. I like it very much and the range is about 2,500 feet, which is great. But short of when I am home, like when I am at the movies and someone is breaking into my car and stealing my radio, I generally am outside the range and won't get the alert from the fob.

But that said, I totally agree that these two-way systems with the LCD are great. I love the remote start, the great range (I start it from my desk at work all the time), the ability to check the temp in the car, etc. All around excellent and worth the minimal investment and somewhat difficult install.

The Vipers have an advertised range of one mile. I never have tested that as there is no reason to start my car from one mile away or for me to even be that far away from my car but I can tell you that I have never had it not respond regardless of how far away I was from the car, indoors or out. The system work very well. I am really only concerned when I am at home. That is where I am likely to be hit.

I know mine(in my previous car) saved a sweet Alpine deck(3DA-7987) on several occasions, when I lived in SoCal...

I lived on the 3rd story in my apartment building, so it took a little time to get to my car, but I saved that unit at least twice by starting the car, while I was on my way....

Which was probably the best way... They were gone before I got there, so I didn't have to shoot anyone, even better, I didn't get shot...

:lol: ...after being broken into 6+ times, the car was finally stolen...stripped...and burned on the side of the road... :?

As of now, I only have factory alarm/remote start... which is stupid.... With Toyota's remote start, it shuts the engine off when you unlock the doors to get in... Completely dumb... I just haven't found the perfect one yet... I was hoping that one of these companies would get into "keyless go"... But none of them do... It would be nice to just carry a FOB and not both a key and a FOB..

Damn six times!!!! :x You must of had a lot of nice stuff in that car. Sorry to hear about that though. I hope the bastards finally got what was coming to them. Anyway, you should look into the new Vipers. Most now don't require an extra key to utilize the RS. And it doesn't require the engine to shut off when you open the doors. :roll: