AVIC411.com

Filesystem Access

I recently purchased and installed a Z110BT in my 2006 VW GLI and I'm so far very impressed. However, there are definitely some changes I'd like to make. That being said, when I was reading through the manual, I noticed that the software is utilizing 7-Zip which is released under the GNU LGPL open source software license. Section 4e of the LGPL (on page 18 of the manual) states that Pioneer must:

Provide Installation Information, but only if you would otherwise be required to provide such information under section 6 of the GNU GPL, and only to the extent that such information is necessary to install and execute a modified version of the Combined Work produced by recombining or relinking the Application with a modified version of the Linked Version. (If you use option 4d0, the Installation Information must accompany the Minimal Corresponding Source and Corresponding Application Code. If you use option 4d1, you must provide the Installation Information in the manner specified by section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying Corresponding Source.)

If my understanding is correct, we may be able to contact Pioneer and request the installation materials necessary for us to "install an updated version of 7-Zip" on our units.

What do you all think?

Thomas

• 1 month later...

So I contacted Pioneer about their use of the open source 7-Zip, and was pleasantly surprised when I was told they would get me the files within a few weeks. A few weeks have passed, and I had a package on my door today. I've attached the contents of the CD I received from Pioneer in Japan.

While I haven't tried messing with this yet, there are instructions for replacing the once file on the device. If we can figure out how the "script" works, then we may be able to replace any file we want. It has a TESTMODE.KEY file, so there's also the chance that putting it on an SD card and starting the unit in Test Mode will allow filesystem access.

I'll try to find some time to mess with this, and post my results.

Thomas

GRS64-0004.zip

From what it look's like, they just basically sent a testmode key file and script that will add a file into the Z's flash storage. Hopefully we can figure out a way to use that testmode file to crack into some kind of flash dump. Then who knows what craziness could ensue.

Thanks for taking the initiative of calling Pioneer and posting these files. Even if it doesn't turn into anything, it's still appreciated!

Pioneer will never give you access to the system software regardless of what open source software may be involved.

Well aren't I looking pretty dumb right now. Wow, this is interesting. And just when I have ditched my Z110BT. Go figure. :x

Pioneer will never give you access to the system software regardless of what open source software may be involved.

Well aren't I looking pretty dumb right now. Wow, this is interesting. And just when I have ditched my Z110BT. Go figure. :x

What did you go with...out of curiosity...

X910BT

I know it's off topic... Just curious as to why....

I'm 95% happy with the Z110bt and I can't stand knobs, so I'm not going to jump ship yet...

But you do know your stuff, and would love to know what separates the two and what makes an avid Pioneer guru "downgrade"...

for the time being, I'm getting my environment set up, and gonna check out this "source" code....

But it really doesn't look like it'll help anyone as far as hacking goes.... initially looking at it... it's such a small sample... which is only pertaining to the the 7Zip code.... no Pioneer OS stuff

Because I couldn't ignore the possibilities that can be had with the mods for the X series. I think the Z is a great unit but is closed to some things I can have with a hacked X.

Understandable.....

What are the hardware differences, if any?

And what are the MAIN benefits to hacking the 1st gen X?

Is it far less slow/buggy than the F?

As far as "getting you there" and being a "media machine", what makes it better?

You can split this topic if need be... I see some geeky fun stuff in hacking these X's.... but what exactly would I benefit from the X....

LOL...I know you're gonna hate me for these questions.... But hell.. I may jump ship as well... if anything..just modify something... :lol:

There are no hardware differences between the F and X. The difference is the 3.0 software that comes on the X. The F can be upgraded to 3.0 which essentially makes the units the same. The benefits of hacking this software are huge. Among the these benefits are, custom skinning/theming, multiple routes, traffic camera database and alert function, road avoidance, branded POI icons, the ability to use Navtech maps, map upgrades, much easier UI, and the list goes on. All of those features are not present in the stock Pioneer navi software that comes on the unit. This is similar to the iPhone jailbreak efforts that are available that offer you a lot more function then what is intended by the manufacturer. The X is less slow and buggy then the F but again that is because of the 3.0 software. There is still some flakiness to the 3.0 software and the VR does not work very well and is only able to be used with the AV interface. It will not control the navi like that of the Z. The navi software of the F/X compared to the Z as far as getting you there are similar. The both do a good job but there is more function with the X. Especially when it is hacked. The media functions are almost identical to the Z except there is no A2DP BT streaming and the screen is a lot smaller. The media features of the Z are actually borrowed from the F/X series as those units were the first to have that generation of AV interface. Weather a person should switch or not is entirely up to them and what they want in there unit. The things I will miss are the bigger screen, fast boot time, and the VR. However I was willing to sacrifice these things to gain what I have gained with a hacked X910BT. Take a look at the hacks and mods section of the F/X series forums if you want to get a good idea of what can be done.

Actually, you're gaining a bit with the X for VR since I can never dial by voice unless I remember to hit the OK button for the navi right away upon bootup. Other than that the VR for multimedia is the same and all you really lose the VR for the nav which isn't that great. I'd much rather have VR for voice at all times. Also, the VR engine on the X doesn't fail if you try to use it too soon.

Actually, you're gaining a bit with the X for VR since I can never dial by voice unless I remember to hit the OK button for the navi right away upon bootup. Other than that the VR for multimedia is the same and all you really lose the VR for the nav which isn't that great. I'd much rather have VR for voice at all times. Also, the VR engine on the X doesn't fail if you try to use it too soon.

I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be fixed in the next update...

I was/am very impressed by how this 110BT can actually register my redneck voice, and get me directions.... even in the smallest of holes that I live in... I love how it gives me options, and that I can just hit the VR and cut her off...

I do...however wish that I didn't have to go through so many steps.... If anyone has tried the Bing App on the IPhone, you can speak the entire address in one single go, and it'll figure it out... I wish I could get this in a Navi...

After looking at some of the mods... fact is, that I just don't need it... The "geek" in me wants those hacks... But in reality, those hacks come with a price... I really like the screen size(no knobs) and speed of the 110BT... There are quirks... but for what I need, it does it's job... After all, I'm coming from a Z3.... I never jumped on the F, as it showed itself to be very clunky/buggy in it's beginning... and it had knobs... I spent allot of time and money making my truck as nice as it is... I just can't get over the knobs...