AVIC411.com

Pioneer unveils AVIC-X920BT @ CES!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MSN module for the unit is an add on module. It can be replaced with whatever new option they develop between now and then. Also most technologies don't have a shelf life of two years. So to say it will not be as functional in less then two years has no merit. Come 2012, we will likely see an upgrade module to replace the MSN option. I dont see a problem here.

All I'm saying is releasing a product knowing full-well that it will be not-as-functional in less than two years is a shady practice as far as I'm concerned.

what? that makes absolutely no sense. it is just a small feature of the unit that will no longer be functional and you are not paying extra for this feature out of the box. they could have just not put it on the unit, but they did at no cost. sounds like a bonus for those who will use it.

Sure it does. I expect the products I buy to work as advertised for longer than 2 years. Is that so hard to expect? Maybe it's a small selling point for THAT model... look at the F-series. It's a prominent selling feature. It's listed as one of the main features. One of the few reasons I even bought one was because I was fed up with the terrible time-delays associated with TMC Traffic Information (previous GPS was a $400 Navigon). I opted for this figuring the traffic info would be much better since it's an independent company that controls the traffic information -- and that was an excellent assumption: it IS much better than TMC, hands down -- but the fact remains that they are putting out a product that they know will lose SOME of its usefulness in less than two years.

Look, if you don't buy something as an investment, I understand. That would be like many people on this forum. I, on the other hand spend my money very wisely and take a lot of time to do research before investing in an expensive product like an in-dash GPS. I'm not made of money, I don't drive a Corvette. I expect my purchases to last me a long time (with full functionality), since I don't have the money to buy a new unit every third year.

That is my point.

/disagreement

I, on the other hand spend my money very wisely and take a lot of time to do research before investing in an expensive product like an in-dash GPS. I'm not made of money, I don't drive a Corvette. I expect my purchases to last me a long time (with full functionality), since I don't have the money to buy a new unit every third year.

That is my point.

/disagreement

I totally agree with you.......

Any word on whether this thing will have any RDS radio info capabilities? Also, any ideas as to how long the thing takes to turn on each time? Is it the typical 30+ secs of the X series or is it more like the Z being about 10-15 secs? It appears as it will have some nice features and the price point will be way nicer than the Z or any of the Kenwood equivalents. Too bad they had to cheap out on the preouts - 2 volts again sigh. For me that isn't as huge anymore now that I have an Audison Bit One to step my preouts up a little. I am months away from being able to afford anything anyways so maybe I'll make the right choice this time and save a few bucks in the process by not jumping at the first apparently nice thing I see this time.

Judging by the responsiveness of the interface on the videos I have seen, I don't think processing power will be an issue so boot time shouldn't be either. I think Pioneer has learned their lesson with slow boot time after the F series. I would say the unit will sell for between 999-1099 judging by the list price. Of course you guys to the north will expect to pay more.

That is so true but only if we are stupid enough to pay what the stores demand up here. The sad part if we get a good deal is that we lose the warranty. That is how it has been proposed to me anyways. I have had good luck in the past with some internet sites that offer a good price however and that might just be what I end up doing whenever I convince myself that I have to have any certain unit. I am far from that right now. The new X920BT and Z110BT do have me a little intrigued as well as possibly the new Kenwood DNX9960 due out later this year. It will be interesting to see how these new models are recieved by us (the consumers). I know I will be waiting a lot longer than the last time that's for sure. I am not going to be hosed two year's in a row. Hell, I can buy what I got last for 1/2 of what I paid if I were to get it again now. That is insane! 50% depreciation in less than 1 year is just unacceptable. Then again that is car audio for ya I guess.

Sure it does. I expect the products I buy to work as advertised for longer than 2 years. Is that so hard to expect? Maybe it's a small selling point for THAT model... look at the F-series. It's a prominent selling feature. It's listed as one of the main features. One of the few reasons I even bought one was because I was fed up with the terrible time-delays associated with TMC Traffic Information (previous GPS was a $400 Navigon). I opted for this figuring the traffic info would be much better since it's an independent company that controls the traffic information -- and that was an excellent assumption: it IS much better than TMC, hands down -- but the fact remains that they are putting out a product that they know will lose SOME of its usefulness in less than two years.

Look, if you don't buy something as an investment, I understand. That would be like many people on this forum. I, on the other hand spend my money very wisely and take a lot of time to do research before investing in an expensive product like an in-dash GPS. I'm not made of money, I don't drive a Corvette. I expect my purchases to last me a long time (with full functionality), since I don't have the money to buy a new unit every third year.

That is my point.

/disagreement

Honestly I dont see where they designed this unit for MSN as opposed to the next future traffic option. The unit supports the same add on tuner option as the Z110BT does which for now, is MSN. The unit will support the next traffic option they design for the unit. So again, MSN is what we have now but this unit as well as the Z has future options built in in the form of the add on tuner. This unit is not isolated to MSN. Again, I see no problem here.

I have a Z110BT on hold and my buddy called me who works there and told me about the X920BT, i have the option to not get the Z110BT and wait for the X920BT. But I'm not really sure what i want to do.

I like the interface of the X920BT, and the new features do seem like i would enjoy them. The only benefits of the Z that i know of right now is; Larger screen, dual zone video, higher voltage pre-outs, tilt screen. Is there anything else?

Now, he did say that it was very hard for him to get the Z, he could only get 2 from Pioneer, so he has a feeling the Z wont be available in the near future. I need to make the discussion soon because if i don't want the Z, they have some one else who wants it.

Any opinion???

Well its up to you. The units are going to use the same navi software and the advantages of the Z over the X you have pointed out here. It is my opinion we will see an update to the Z that gives us some or all of the interface changes you now see on the X. Also I wouldn't expect the Z to disappear from the lineup for several years. The X920BT will be gone before the Z.

Judging by the responsiveness of the interface on the videos I have seen, I don't think processing power will be an issue so boot time shouldn't be either. I think Pioneer has learned their lesson with slow boot time after the F series. I would say the unit will sell for between 999-1099 judging by the list price. Of course you guys to the north will expect to pay more.

According to our rep the X920 will have the same processor as the Z110 so the boot up should be fairly similar.