AVIC411.com

Emulating hard buttons

Can anyone tell me if/how hard buttons (e.g., pushing up or down on the AVIC's knob to zoom) can be emulated using Microsoft's CE emulator? Also - The AVIC doesn't seem to display anything coming over the Radio Broadcast Data System - You know, that text information that's embedded in many stations' transmission. Am I missing someting?

Thanks!

The AVIC doesn't do RDS at all, you need the HD Radio add-on unit to get RDS

Assuming he has US model, of course. Euro models do have RDS in the built-in tuner.

For emulating buttins, add this skin to emulator:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

titleBar ="AVIC-F900BT"

displayPosX="225"

displayPosY="120"

displayWidth="800"

displayHeight="480"

displayDepth="16"

mappingImage="avic_mask.png"

normalImage="avic_up.png">

toolTip="MENU"

onClick="0x73"

mappingColor="0x804000"

/>

toolTip="MAP"

onClick="0x72"

mappingColor="0xFF8040"

/>

You need to start the mainmenu.exe though.

The AVIC doesn't do RDS at all, you need the HD Radio add-on unit to get RDS

Assuming he has US model, of course. Euro models do have RDS in the built-in tuner..

True.. but doesn't everyone else refer to it as TMC?

Not necessarily. TMC is sent over RDS, but RDS can send other information as well (station name, current song, weather alerts, etc.).

Not necessarily. TMC is sent over RDS, but RDS can send other information as well (station name, current song, weather alerts, etc.).

learn something new every day, thanks Boris!

You're welcome.

That's why if you use the HD Radio adapter, it will show statio name (or something else, depending on broadcast and what you have selected) even for analog stations.

Lots of great information here. Thanks for the responses. I do have the US version, btw.

For emulating buttins, add this skin to emulator:

Ummm, how would I do that?

You need to start the mainmenu.exe though.

What function does this perform? When I try to run it in the emulator, I get a Fatal Application Error... Illegal Operation.

Thanks.

What function does this perform? When I try to run it in the emulator, I get a Fatal Application Error... Illegal Operation.

Thanks.

Run the emulator with a bat file like this:

del /Q /F avic_80\USER\UserData\SETUP\*
rmdir avic_80\USER\UserData\SETUP
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Device Emulator\1.0\deviceemulator.exe" /memsize 256 /sharedfolder avic_80 /c nk.bin /skin "avic.xml"

Assuming the skin code I pasted above is in avic.xml

MainMenu is what actually intercepts button presses and dispatches them to iGO, AV module, etc.

I did as you directed, but I'm not sure of the purpose. The emulator comes up with the AVIC_mask.png that I specified, at the size of that image, with no task or menu bar showing (therefore can't run MainMenu or ezRider). Is there a specific set of images I should use (I was just using any ol' image thinking that these would be the buttons to emulate the zoom)?

Thanks for guiding me through this...

I did as you directed, but I'm not sure of the purpose. The emulator comes up with the AVIC_mask.png that I specified, at the size of that image, with no task or menu bar showing (therefore can't run MainMenu or ezRider). Is there a specific set of images I should use (I was just using any ol' image thinking that these would be the buttons to emulate the zoom)?

Thanks for guiding me through this...

Try these ones... I do get task/menu bar when emulator starts. Also, Alt-Tab works...

post-22070-12872760897201_thumb.png

post-22070-12872760899494_thumb.png

Getting closer. Now I can see the emulated interface, but I think I'm having issues with the emulator itself. MainMenu doesn't seem to do anything, and apparently (according to the attached emulator console output) the hard buttons aren't being registered.

Can you make any sense out of the attached and point me to where I've gone wrong with the emulator setup?

ConsoleWindow.txt

Getting closer. Now I can see the emulated interface, but I think I'm having issues with the emulator itself. MainMenu doesn't seem to do anything, and apparently (according to the attached emulator console output) the hard buttons aren't being registered.

Can you make any sense out of the attached and point me to where I've gone wrong with the emulator setup?

I'll ask people on 4PDA who had set up the emulation...

Any luck getting this going? I've been trying to reverse-engineer carver's instructions on how to carve up the WINCEIMG.BIN into toc.bin, eboot.nb0, chain.bin and wince.nb0 files so I can use 3.0 in the emulator. I think I've got the four files created right but the emulator doesn't like wince.nb0. Also tried the same process on a 2.06 WINCEIMG.BIN (following carver's instructions in viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25385) but the emulator didn't like that one either.

Has anyone successfully extracted nk.bin out of a WINCEIMG.BIN?