AVIC411.com

Mazda5 Wire Locations?

Looking for the VSS, reverse and illumination wires for a 2006 Mazda5, searched here and various Mazda forums but I've not found any answers yet... anyone know?

The stock radio had speed sensitive volume control so if I could locate that wire could I tap in to it for the VSS signal? I've been able to determine the audio and power wires in the stock harness connector, but I've found no references to speed or volume wires in that harness. Could that radio adjust volume from some built-in mic I'm not aware of? I doubt that's the case as the rise in volume does seem fairly linear and relative to the speed of the vehicle.

A big THANKS in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Since my original message I found some more info on this...

I did pick up the illumination wire off the stock harness.

The reverse wire was easy to find and I didn't have to go to the back to get it. It's a red with yellow striped wire in a big blue connector behind the glovebox on the fire wall. It's easy to get at by removing the passenger side plastic sill plate, kick-panel (one push-in fastener) and 5 screws from the glovebox.

I have found the location of the VSS wire for auto transmission Madzda5's but I've not done it yet as it's pretty cold up here in Canada to be working on a vehicle outside. It's a green wire coming off a gray connector on the back right side of the engine. This connector also has a black and a white/red wire coming out of it. You supposedly need to remove the plastic battery covers and battery to get at it, but as I said I've not done this yet. This green (VSS) wire runs to one of the two PCM cables which are easy to get at under the cover to the left of the battery, but there are a few green wires in those harnesses and I've not determined which one it is yet. The easiest way to get that wire into the engine compartment is by feeding it through the rubber firewall grommet used for the hood release cable. I've attached two PDF files that are completely unrelated but give directions on getting behind the glovebox and running the wire through the hood release cable grommet.

Let me know how it goes for you since I won't be doing this until March or April. :wink:

DVD_Kit_Non-Moonroof_(Mazda5).pdf

Remote_Start_Install_(Mazda5).pdf

Okay, I checked the wiring diagrams for the Mazda5 and found the wire in one of the two harnesses at the PCM, so only the PCM cover needs to be removed (easy) and the battery won't need to be removed. It's the #1 connector in the 1J position which is three in from the end and in the second row from the plug clip side. I'm not sure which of the two connectors is the #1 connector but I checked the wiring diagram for the #2 connector and it does not have a green wire in the same position, so it should be easy to figure out by looking at them.

I've attached a PDF from the wiring manual showing this wire and connector.

Like I said, let me know how it goes for you.

Mazda5 VSS Wire.pdf