AVIC411.com

Okay, this might be a REALLY stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I have hooked up the VSS wire in my 2006 GMC Sierra according to this post http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3398&hilit=2007+gmc+sierra. When I drove around to try it out, I noticed that the speed pulse doesn't go above 10. Shouldn't it follow reasonably close to what the actual speed is, or do I not understand how it is supposed to work. It could also be possible that the wire is loose. I just want to make sure that it is acting abnormal before I take things back apart and check the connections. Thank you in advance for any help!

• 4 weeks later...

Not necessary as an installer I never ever wire them up I don't know any other installer in any other location of my company that bother to wire it up. I didn't hook mine up, it helps but it isn't work the extra time in my opinion. Forget removing the cluster or anything just cut it, heatshrink it closed, call it a done deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to comment on this. The effort for the benefit is really not that bad. Most modern cars with CANBUS make it even easier to find a suitable VSS wire. By not hooking this up your z does not attempt to track progress where no satellite is available like in tunnels. If I were not an installer myself and had to go to a place to get this installed, I would insist on both VSS and reverse wires being hooked up as they provide valuable data to the unit as to your position.

Just my 2 cents.

I have to comment on this as well. First of all, my comments are going to probably rub some of the installers on this board the wrong way so I apologize in advance for those of you on hear I have respect for. Now, I think the decision to not hook this up is pure laziness and an attempt to cut conners but charge you full price for. The install charge from most shops to install a nav system runs about 150 to 200 dollars more then a single din head unit. But why? Not hooking the VSS and reverse wires up makes this nothing more then a regular stereo install. The exception being the antenna and BT mic install but does that really justify the extra charge? I think not. These two wires in modern cars are easy to find and should be connected as part of the initial install. As a consumer, you should demand they do the job they are charging you hundreds of dollars to do. Don't except anything less.

• 4 months later...
Not necessary as an installer I never ever wire them up I don't know any other installer in any other location of my company that bother to wire it up. I didn't hook mine up, it helps but it isn't work the extra time in my opinion. Forget removing the cluster or anything just cut it, heatshrink it closed, call it a done deal.

Sorry, but not a great advertisement for your quality of work. My installer did not hook up the VSS wire either, even though I asked, and I got nicely screwed up for 20 minutes coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel in NY, where it's difficult to pick up the GPS and I was wildly off the street pattern for 15 minutes. Trying to get to a location on the West side during rush hour traffic, with all the one way, no turn, and dead ended streets was ridiculous, and all because the lack of the VSS hookup didn't keep the system on track while out of GPS range.

All wires should be connected. Period. I went back the next day and they corrected the issue (and the illumination wire, which they also failed to connect).

Wow..Kinda shocked with this statement! In my opinion, I would expect that a professional's response would be the exact opposite. Glad I did my own install, wired it properly, and saved the money of being shortchanged by an installer who makes an opinionated call on my behalf. All the while robbing me of the full potential of the unit. It's this kind of statement that gives honest installers a bad name, and makes people leery of businesses like that. People pay good money to have things done right and thoroughly. Clearly Pioneer made it so that wire requirement is there for a reason and relative to their equipment. It is the responsibility of the installer to be knowledgeable of the brand names he/she is working with, and what is required to hook them up properly. I agree with the previous post and say that all wires should be connected properly period!! No ifs, ands, or buts....

Second part of this is that consumers should be knowledgeable of the requirements as well. Don't let your lack of understanding allow others to take advantage of it. I know it's tough to learn every little thing about the things you buy, and that's why we depend on business/service proprietor's to have our best interest in mind when advising us on the products we invest in. At least I would expect them to fully explain the requirement of the wire and allow the consumer to make the judgement call to connect it or not. I can't see why someone would opt to NOT hook it up unless the installer was going to charge them some high priced extra cost. All in all, hooking that wire up should be part of the process anyway...Bottom line..Hook it up!!

Peace ~HFoM

• 3 weeks later...

Please post your location and shop. There are many here who want to make darn good and sure to stay away from a hack outfit such as yours. The wires are there for a reason. Engineers far above your skill level have taken the time and expense to put them there. An installation job includes doing the job correctly AND COMPLETELY.