AVIC411.com

Confirmed: Generic DivX format for SD avi and DVD DivX

felixgun - thanks for the reply, but what I meant was, can the Z110BT play .avi files straight from torrents without conversion? Just copy to SD, stick it in, and it plays?

And by DVD Menu support, what I mean is can I rip a DVD into AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, then copy those files to SD card, and the Z110BT can play them with full navigation of the DVD menu?

With my current setup, I have a WD TV Mini connected to A/V inputs and I control it using its IR remote. It's not entirely convenient, but the WD TV Mini will play DivX and Xvid .avi files right from torrents without any kind of conversion, just copy to flash drive, plug it in, and it plays. WD TV Mini does the same with DVDs when AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS are copied to flash drive. I am also able to plug in an external HDD to it full of ripped DVDs and play them individually. It supports DVD Menu so for DVDs of TV shows, I can select the episode I want to watch or use scene selection. I was hoping the Z110BT would have those kinds of features built in.

No the .avi files straight from torrent -> straight to SD do not play without conversion.. I personally have tried several (I have lots) just to make sure it wasn't that one .avi, and still nothing.

If you rip the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS from a DVD and stick it on an SD nothing will happen (including using the full navigation of the DVD menu which would be awesome). The only time you can use the DVD menu is when you are actually on the DVD input of the Z110bt. Otherwise you have to use the controls on the SD input. The SD file formats are very limited. If you rip the full uncompressed DVD and then convert to one of the "working" formats (according to the manual), it MIGHT work... depending on what tool/program you are using to convert.

I also looked at the WD TV Mini and yes all of those features would be awesome in the Z110 but none such features exist. I would get one but then I would have to find a place to put it in my tahoe and i've run out of room behind the dash from all the extra components (HD Radio/MSN Direct/etc) and doesn't look like that would fit in my glove compartment where my iPod touch/USB ipod cable goes. Plus you would have to get an AC/DC converter plugged into your battery/ugly external cigarette lighter charger to plug in to run it for the extra power. How exactly do you have yours set up in your car?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also looked at the WD TV Mini and yes all of those features would be awesome in the Z110 but none such features exist. I would get one but then I would have to find a place to put it in my tahoe and i've run out of room behind the dash from all the extra components (HD Radio/MSN Direct/etc) and doesn't look like that would fit in my glove compartment where my iPod touch/USB ipod cable goes. Plus you would have to get an AC/DC converter plugged into your battery/ugly external cigarette lighter charger to plug in to run it for the extra power. How exactly do you have yours set up in your car?

Thanks for the info! Being able to play .avi or DVD without conversion would be the main reason I'd want to upgrade my HU, so if the Z110BT doesn't do it, I'm not disappointed that I missed the great deals that were going around earlier in the Spring.

WD TV Mini runs on 12V so no AC/DC converter or cig lighter necessary. I used an old universal radar detector hard-wire kit and a fuse adapter. I have the WD TV Mini plugged into a fuse that comes on with ACC power, same as the HU. It's currently just sitting in the glovebox, only drawback so far is I have to open the glovebox to use the remote control, so I also had to pull the glovebox bulb.

• 2 months later...

I've found that winavi converting to ipod setting works great. Have done a dozen movies already and all have worked and have great quality video and audio with no video lag or chopping.....

Thanks for this, I've tested a couple of videos and that seems to work. I'll try a couple more before converting, my entire library.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am using hamster video conter free from cnet download, i just clicked on the ipod classic and it worked without a hitch usind sd, i converted over 180 misic video and put it in 1 8 gb sd card and it plays, didnt have to configure anything email me for any question

i have 120bt

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

The easiest converter i have found is hamster, its free at cnet download.com, all you need to pick is the ipod classic setting and it will play in your avic 120bt, ive tested this and it worked on music vidoes and movies, you dont have to mess with the setting. Also good thing on this is you can que up as many avi you want to convert and let it convert all night

this will work on sd and USB 8 gb max on either one

i use the you tube downloader and use the hamster to convert all of the music videos and its very fast

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

Wrong, Naughtyca

Verified Hamster Ipod Classic setting even at 320x240 resolution that it is, skips like hell... while the file does play I tried SD USB and DVD.... that isn't the correct way of transcoding.

Who has solid information of max native resolution that can be run, and the max bitrate at that resolution.

for example.

320x240 aac i had smooth playback at 1700 video plus audio which peaks around 2400 VBR. off USB stick. so the manufactures 1000 max bitrate is way conservative.

I've been converting files via roxio creator 2011 using mpeg4 320x240... I can't get any other resolution to even start to play. 720x404 NO GO... I followed every step from above and tried various resolutions. even 640x480 NO GO, 640x404 NO GO...

Where's some solid information... I've given solid information that the 1000 bitrate cap is crap so lets get some more details of what this thing can do and stop floating mediocore information.

We buy the z120bt's because we look for perfection, why convert your files using programs with everyday begginer preset with garbage quality video.

I have tried different formats with Handbrake today, but no luck playing videos on my Avic-Z120bt.

Have anybody succeeded converting movies with Handbrake? If so please share your settings.

Thanks a lot.

I convert bluray to mp4 used Handbrake' normal profile with recommended by m3fan in here : http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/31566-usbsd-card-procedures/ . You should try .

I'm so dump to use SD card class 4 at first then movies take forever to load . Lately i use class 10 card with 20mb read speed then every movies load immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not familiar with the technical jargon in this thread, but I thought this was the best place to ask my question. I am having trouble playing any kind of video format on my Z120BT from an SD card. I have success playing mp3 audio files from the same source. Can anybody help me resolve my issue? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Most of your movies will not play because the limited of the HU . You need to convert for it to play . This thread is about user to confirm what to work with HU . If you don't want to learn some basic then i think nobody can help you .

The simplest things you can do is download, buy any convert program and convert your movies to ipod basic or classic profiles then i think most of your movies gonna work . You can try Handbrake which is free .