AVIC411.com

$200 "Interface Piece" -- BS or Legit?

So I’m calling around getting quotes for a Z110 install on a 2007 Nissan Sentra, and one guy I talked to had (what I thought to be) a reasonable quote – $75 for dash kit, harness, antenna adapter (is this adapter not included with unit?) and $150 labor – but then he said if I wanted to still have my car’s native LCD display (like most cards, in the Sentra, this is right above where the Z110 would go and just had basic stuff like time, temp, mileage info, etc.) I’d need to buy an “interface piece” for $200.

I laughed it off saying that’s insane, but wasn’t sure if it’s a legit thing and the unit will be dark without it, or if it’s just total BS.

So …….

Will this LCD display no longer be active once I install the Z110 or will I still be able to see/use it?

Good point about making whoever is working on my car happy. :) I always find in life that it makes no sense to get on someone's bad side.

As far as the part, after looking into it, it looks like there is actually some lame wired remote you are supposed to click to access some of the functions, which is completely pointless; I'd rather it just be dark.

Seems like the unit is more used for if you are installing a non-BT stereo so you can maintain the car's BT capabilities; however, obviously the Z110 has BT so not sure there is much point to spending $150-200 on it.

• 2 weeks later...

So hopefully someone can offer input here ... my car is at dealer right now and they say they can't hook it up without this interface piece. My understanding is that without the piece I would lose the "clock/temp" display function and lose Bluetooth control (but I don't care as the Z110 has it) but that's it.

They claim that the unit won't work without it.

Does anyone have any experience with these units in Nissan Sentras and can comment ??