AVIC411.com

Using USB Hub to play Ipod/Iphone and USB drive together

Hello Folks,

I got some time this week to test USB hub with Z110.

I tried 2 different USB hubs. One i had lying around for some time which is USB 1.1 and i bought another one with USB 2.0 to test if it works.

I will post pictures tonight once i'm home.

Following are my finding with different situations.

NOTE1: Make sure you have both icon USB and ipod on shortcut and test it from there. As I don't have pioneer cable i don't about video from Iphone. I only tested for Music.

Micro innovations USB 1.1 4 port Hub

1. Connect Iphone first and then USB drive

- Both Works 100% time. Iphone charges all time

2. Connect USB drive first and then Iphone

- USB icon disables and Ipod icon activates

- USB does not work, Iphone music works and charges

3. Both usb drive and iphone connected to hub and Z110 boots

-Result same as 2

4. Only Iphone connected to Hub

-It works 100%. Music plays and Iphone charges

5. Only USB drive connected to Hub

- It works 100%

IHome USB 2.0 4 port Hub with mini usb as input, Optional split cable for external power source

1. Connect Iphone first and then USB drive

- Both iphone and usb works.

But iphone gives warning that accessory is not compatible and does not charge

2. Connect USB drive first and then Iphone

- USB icon disables and Ipod icon activates, Iphone gives warning and does not charge

- USB does not work, Iphone music works

3. Both usb drive and iphone connected to hub and Z110 boots

-Result same as 2

4. Only Iphone connected to Hub

-Iphone gives warning and does not charge but music works.

5. Only USB drive connected to Hub

- It works 100%

Belkin swivel USB 2.0 4 port Hub

-- Same results as iHome hub.

I also noticed that when using USB 2.0 hub z110 remembers it in memory(If not power down) and even if you disconnect USB or Iphone, Icons does not disables all the time.

I suspect mini usb as input for USB 2.0 Hub for iphone not charging. But i have to test it further with Single cable regular USB as input. If you get confuse reading this don't worry pictures will clear what i'm talking about.

I'm giving up on usb 2.0 hubs but before that i wanna make sure with iphone compatible hub since only charging is having problem with usb 2.0 hubs.

Update

Tried four other hubs and 2 passed with flying colors. At least with stock charger cable.

I just bought CD-iu50v from eBay and charging Iphone with usb hub doesn't work with it no matter which one i used.

But it does play music and video through iphone on z110 with usb hub.

Following 2 hubs worked with Stock usb charging cable that came with iphone and usb drive and i used Aux cable to listent to music, No video though. If used pioneer cable music and video works as well as usb drive plays everything but iphone charging does not work.

Hope this thread will help everyone to make their choice.

post-31722-1287276110506_thumb.jpg

post-31722-1287276110564_thumb.jpg

post-31722-12872761508934_thumb.jpg

post-31722-12872761509421_thumb.jpg

= As I don't have pioneer cable i don't about video from Iphone. I only tested for Music.

I do not have a Z but we do sell them.

So are you using just your regular old USB iPod cable that came with your ipod? and that will work for music and data?

I know the U310BT will work that way but the X-series wont.

= As I don't have pioneer cable i don't about video from Iphone. I only tested for Music.

I do not have a Z but we do sell them.

So are you using just your regular old USB iPod cable that came with your ipod? and that will work for music and data?

I know the U310BT will work that way but the X-series wont.

Regular usb charging cable for data/control and aux cable for music.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I have tried so far. I already have a 4 ports USB hub connected to the pioneer cable.

And my ipod is already connected to it. If your Z110BT already started and once you plug in the USB flash, it will read both music and videos. But once you turn off everything and restart it, the Z110BT will only see IPOD, you will not see the USB icon on the display, you will need to unplug and plug it back again, so the system will show the USB icon. This is quite annoying. Hopefully someone will come out with an idea or a switch so we can use both at the same time without removing the USB flash drive from the hub.

This is what I have tried so far. I already have a 4 ports USB hub connected to the pioneer cable.

And my ipod is already connected to it. If your Z110BT already started and once you plug in the USB flash, it will read both music and videos. But once you turn off everything and restart it, the Z110BT will only see IPOD, you will not see the USB icon on the display, you will need to unplug and plug it back again, so the system will show the USB icon. This is quite annoying. Hopefully someone will come out with an idea or a switch so we can use both at the same time without removing the USB flash drive from the hub.

What Hub are you using? Does it recognize and charge ipod all times? All usb 2.0 hubs that i tried failed to do so.They recognized my iphone but won't charge. My usb 1.1 hub all time charges it and recognizes it but then if i tried to play videos from usb drive while iphone is plugged in, it seems slow :( but if playing music its fine.

• 11 months later...

I was leaning toward a used Z3 before I saw this. I would definitely get a 120 if this is possible though.

However, I am not clear on this statement: I just bought CD-iu50v from eBay and charging Iphone with usb hub doesn't work with it no matter which one i used.

So with the 1.1 hub everything worked as listed above using the stock apple cable...what advantage was there to using the CD-iu50v? On screen control? Video?

I am pretty happy with the functionality listed in the 1.1 hub above. The only drawback is that you need to plug in the USB drive after the phone...no big deal. All I want is a iPhone hookup that charges plus a plug for a USB drive that I will load with kids content for the rear monitors.

Has anyone successfully worked this out?

Advantage of CD-iu50v is to see videos stored on iphone. Unfortunately if you want to use iphone, usb drive and want to charge iphone at same time it won't work. With CD_iu50v cable iphone charging is not working with usb hub. But with stock apple cable it will work but you won't be able to see iphone videos.

All I want is a iPhone hookup that charges plus a plug for a USB drive that I will load with kids content for the rear monitors.

This won't work either as you can not transmit usb drive content to rear monitors. Only dvd and ipod/iphone content.