AVIC411.com

Hands-free mic not working

So, I'm finishing up installing my new U310BT (and I am *so* glad I didn't buy it for it's navigation capability, or lack thereof). I've got almost everything all working: the XM radio module, the steering-wheel interface, the USB to the iPod. The only problem I'm still stuck on is that the hands-free mic doesn't pick up my voice.

I've got it plugged into the jack all the way. I've got the mic on the dashboard, about 20" from my mouth, directly in front of it. The iPhone pairs with the AVIC... and even transfers my contacts. But, when I tell the iPhone to use the AVIC as the audio source, the party I'm calling can't hear me.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to turn off or adjust the echo/feedback cancellation? Is there a good way to test the mic to make sure it's not broken? I've read that some other manufacturers' mics work better, like Garmin. Is there a quick and/or cheap source for getting one?

- Joe

So, I'm finishing up installing my new U310BT (and I am *so* glad I didn't buy it for it's navigation capability, or lack thereof). I've got almost everything all working: the XM radio module, the steering-wheel interface, the USB to the iPod. The only problem I'm still stuck on is that the hands-free mic doesn't pick up my voice.

I've got it plugged into the jack all the way. I've got the mic on the dashboard, about 20" from my mouth, directly in front of it. The iPhone pairs with the AVIC... and even transfers my contacts. But, when I tell the iPhone to use the AVIC as the audio source, the party I'm calling can't hear me.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to turn off or adjust the echo/feedback cancellation? Is there a good way to test the mic to make sure it's not broken? I've read that some other manufacturers' mics work better, like Garmin. Is there a quick and/or cheap source for getting one?

Is it that they can hear nothing or they just have trouble hearing you? In other words, If you put your mouth up to the mic and yell, can they hear you at all?

If the answer is yes, you just have worthless factory mic syndrome. I did. You'll probably want to replace the factory mic with something like the Garmin 010-10804-00 you've probably seen discussed in earlier threads. I got mine for $11 on Amazon, but plenty of other places have them at similar prices. The Garmin works pretty well for me (also with an iPhone, 2G) -- most people don't even know they are on speakerphone.

If the answer is no, then I'm not sure what to do. It may be a hardware problem. I would definately triple-check the plug though and maybe tape it in, as some users have had a problem with it falling out.

• 7 months later...

sorry for bringing an old topic back up... but this same EXACT thing is happening to me now. Ive checked all the wiring about four times now to make sure nothing came loose, resetted the system, and paired and unpaired the bluetooth and phone contacts numerous times. i hear everything clearly but the person on the other end hear absolutely nothing. just wondering if you fixed this, and i assume you have because you never posted again. so hope you can help! quite aggrivating!

WOW, I have the complete opposite problem.....everyone can hear me clearly, but I hear nothing,,,,even when I dial

I hear the first dial tone on my spkrs then nothing. sent it back to Pioneer they claimed to fix it , but still same problem...I have tried 4 different phones-pairing and so forth....oh well! :(

updating this just in case someone else had this same problem...

so after replacing the mic, same problem. i can hear the other end clearly, but they dont hear me whatsoever! finally contacted pioneer. hard resets, switching phones, plugging/unplugging, and 1 1/2 later, they determined that i had a faulty unit sent the unit back and got a new one two days later. installed new one and everything worked on the first try! yey! i hope this helps!