AVIC411.com

Adding audio system to car insurance

I don't think by default car insurance plan replaces my aftermarket system if it is stolen. Does anyone know how to go about adding coverage for this or buying an additional policy from somewhere that does cover audio systems? I hate to dump a ton of money for all kinds of custom car audio work just to have it stolen or vandalized, or even lost in a crash. Any links or info for doing this would be great. I did a quick general search for a few terms related to this but didn't come up with any direct threads.

Thanks

If you're with Geico, all you have to do is call them up and tell them you want to specify some things additional to your regular policy like your aftermarket stereo system etc...

I've got ALL the mods I've done to my Mustang added to the policy INCLUDING stripes, CAI, Z1 + everything, Light-Bar, Magnaflow Duals

MAKE SURE you keep your receipts because without them, you'll have a problem making a claim...

YES, IT DOES COST ADDITIONAL (mine, where I've got almost 10K in upgrades is something like $26/year additional)

hey, finally a topic i can help on. i just got off the phone with my state farm agent about this very topic. he said, " anything that is permanantly installed is covered under my regular auto policy, no need to buy any extra coverage. he said for me to buy more coverage would be a waste of my money. hope this helps a little bit.

ive been with american family for 12 years and have never added anything to my policy as far as aftermarket parts. when my car was broken into, they asked me for model numbers, not even receipts, and replaced everything that was taken. my premium went up $0.14 a month. woo considering about five grand worth of equipment got stolen. thanks am fam.

• 4 months later...
hey, finally a topic i can help on. i just got off the phone with my state farm agent about this very topic. he said, " anything that is permanantly installed is covered under my regular auto policy, no need to buy any extra coverage. he said for me to buy more coverage would be a waste of my money. hope this helps a little bit.

I called my state farm ins agent, too. And he said that I didn't need additional coverage either. All I needed were receipts to show that I bought it, and that it was, in fact, in my car.

My insurance company says it is all covered under the standard plan. Including rims, body mods, all audio, etc. It just to have one screw... And a picture. I dont even need reciepts. plus even if i get it at dealer they give me the Fair Market Value. :D Gotta love USAA.

I don't think by default car insurance plan replaces my aftermarket system if it is stolen. Does anyone know how to go about adding coverage for this or buying an additional policy from somewhere that does cover audio systems? I hate to dump a ton of money for all kinds of custom car audio work just to have it stolen or vandalized, or even lost in a crash. Any links or info for doing this would be great. I did a quick general search for a few terms related to this but didn't come up with any direct threads.

Thanks

About 10 years ago my car was broken into and they took my head unit ,amps,sub,cross-over network.I was parked in a garage bay so they had a little privacy to take what they wanted. StateFarm reimbused everything and my sub wasn't bolted down. I did need receipts.

Actually dependant on the company, your stock alarm, as long as it has starter kill and a couple other things would be sufficient and the aftermarket doesnt do anything. The only thing that would do that is a GPS locater or Lo-Jack. At least thats how mine is.

Correct military insurance... cheap as hell... and very good to have.

• 3 months later...

My plan has a cap of $1500 on the stereo. Fortunately the adjuster worked with me on it. My Z2 was over $1500, plus install, pus XM, Plus BlueTooth, Plus install kit, etc.

It is best to call and ask. Telling them you have $2500 or so into it should not increase the rate much.

I plan to do so as soon as I install a replacement. Mine was taken this weekend, after only three weeks in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the companies, and possibly even different agents, will have different policies and responses. But always keep records of what you had, pictures and/or receipts. It never will hurt and only help. I was told I needed to increase my insured amount when I mentioned the aftermarket parts increased the value of the car a lot (not a small fraction of the cars worth).

But there is no blanket answer because costs and values are different. Let’s say you have a car worth $40K and have it insured for $40K. If you have a stereo worth a grand and it gets stolen. That $1K in losses is 2.5% of the cars worth. Here you are asking for a small amount back for what you are paying for. And if the car was stolen or totaled and you said “Oh and I had a $1k stereo in there too†they would probably say “no problem†because who knows if you had actually a $40K or a $39K car (dents can deprecate a car that much) and they want to keep you as a customer.

But let’s say you had a car worth $10K and insured it for $10K. If you had a $5K system and it got stolen. Even if you had proof of having it there is a good chance they will say “no wayâ€, that is 50% in losses. You were paying to insure $10K worth of property and you actually had $15K.

And don’t forget about you deductible, if your system is worth $1000 and you have a $500 deductible, you will get $500 from them. Basically ask you agent.

Just my $0.02