AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 Changing channels on its own XM/FM/DVD...any ideas?

Hi...I am new to the site and have been searching for a thread that might address my issue but was unable to find one...so here goes:

I have an AVIC-Z1 installed in a 2007 Trailblazer SS. After I left the installer, everything worked great on the way home. The next day, the unit starting changing stations in XM on its own. It woud change to a different category, go forward stations/go backward stations, cycle through all of this quickly.

I changed the source to FM and it did the same thing.

I tried it with the DVD...it did the same thing again (kept skipping to different chapters).

I have the steering wheel controls installed...but what it weird is the XM jumping to different categories (a function not enabled with my steering wheel controls).

It doesn't start immediately upon starting the car and occassionally doesn't happen at all, but once it starts...there is no stopping it.

Has anyone seen similar problems to this before?

Ok... I have two trailblazers. Both have had this problem. After my dealer spent lots of time reprogramming and such, the real fix was this:

The factory steering wheel control wire needs to be "cut" and "spliced" into the steering wheel control mudule.

If you just "tap" into the wire, the factory system will send signals that will cause the radio to change stations radomly.

Once my dealer did this I have had no problems!

This was the solution that was worked out with PAC technicle support.

By the way, I have an 07 SS too! Love my truck!

Good Luck!

and of course you connect the single wire of the car to the swi then program it. how else where they installing this thing?

I think they spliced and twisted the PAC wire into my factory wire for the steering wheel control.

I don’t know if the directions say to "cut" the factory wire but even it does say "cut" without a side note that it must really be cut or problems will occur, many probably strip back the insulation and twist the wire on.

Because this happened in two different trailblazers I own I thought it was for sure a valid fix.

Wow. I have exactly the same problem (same vehicle, deck and everything). Would you mind putting up a bit of a diagram on this? To splice a wire I thought you would have two wires to connect. Are you saying that the fix was just to bare the wire and twist the 2 together? This just dos not seem to be much of a differnece compared to tapping the wire.

Thanks for your help.

Wow. I have exactly the same problem (same vehicle, deck and everything). Would you mind putting up a bit of a diagram on this? To splice a wire I thought you would have two wires to connect. Are you saying that the fix was just to bare the wire and twist the 2 together? This just dos not seem to be much of a differnece compared to tapping the wire.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if you are asking me, referring to my post?

But just in case, when I say cut, I mean sever the factory wire in two, then attach one of the ends to the PAC module.

When I say strip back the insulation and twist the wire onto it, then there is no cutting involved. You strip back some of the insulation on the factory wire to expose the copper and just twist the PAC wire around it.

I had mine installed and this is the information the installer passed onto me.

As long as you cut the brown loop on the SWIPS module, you should be able to just tap into the steering wheel control wire, which is light green at pin 12 of the harness coming from the column. Make sure the SWIPS is programmed for version 1. You can verify this by looking at the SWIPS when you turn on the ignition, the red LED should blink once.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if you are asking me, referring to my post?

But just in case, when I say cut, I mean sever the factory wire in two, then attach one of the ends to the PAC module.

When I say strip back the insulation and twist the wire onto it, then there is no cutting involved. You strip back some of the insulation on the factory wire to expose the copper and just twist the PAC wire around it.

I had mine installed and this is the information the installer passed onto me.

ok. When the wire is cut, can you clarify which lines on the PAC module are connected to the factory wire. We've tried several things but to no avail so far.

Thanks